The Senior Business Development Specialist for Global Initiatives, working under the supervision of the Vice President for Global Development, and working closely with both the Sr. Vice President for Programs and the Vice President for Global Initiatives, will identify and pursue new development opportunities among government and private sector donors, with a particular focus on the international development sectors of health (50%), humanitarian response (20%), gender (15%) and environment/climate change (15%) and their intersection with the media and information landscape in developing countries. The position is responsible for representation with partners and donors working in these sectors, overseeing the development of concept notes and proposals, as well as carrying out field assessments and program design work. The position is also responsible for strategizing for the refunding of existing programming in these sectors. The Senior Program Development Specialist, Global Initiatives will track and review U.S. government, European and Foundation Requests for Applications/proposals (RFPs), determine strategy for application and design and write proposals, both from DC and in the field.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned:
- Working in collaboration with others, represent Internews with donors and partners.
- Carry out field assessments in anticipation of upcoming business development opportunities.
- Review and analyze Requests for Applications/Proposals and help determine potential strategy for application in consultation with Internews program staff.
- Provide writing guides, outlines for proposals and concept notes.
- Lead proposal design using Internews tools to support strong program design, including logical frameworks, worksheets and other tools as appropriate.
- Lead proposal design teams in selecting win themes, identifying best practices and making key partnering decisions.
- Write and edit proposals following donor guidelines and in line with Internews’ internal processes and standards.
- Build partnerships with agencies, implementers and funders in the US and elsewhere, establishing Internews as a project implementer in these sectors.
- Position Internews as a possible sub-grantee in proposal applications; member of relevant consortia.
- Review and analyze Requests for Application/Proposals and help determine potential strategy for application in consultation with Internews program staff. Leading and supervising proposal drafting teams, including review of proposals and concept notes at various stages of development.
- Lead writer and proposal managers for larger and more strategic proposals working with relevant Business Managers, Regional Directors, or Country Directors on strategy and budgeting.
- Develop programming in collaboration with field missions and the Director of Business Development to secure funding from LWAs and IQCs and other centrally funded mechanisms that Internews is a part of.
- Build relationships with community stakeholders to advance the mission and fundraising goals of the organization.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 7+ years of experience in international development, health, media, and/or nonprofit fields – and at least 2 years of experience working abroad an asset.
- At least five plus years of solid business development and/or fundraising experience within the non-profit sector.
- At least 3 years of prior experience working in the field of international global health.
- Relevant university degree. Advanced degree in health a plus.
- Strong proposal writing experience – public and private, including in response to USAID and other donor solicitations. Prior proposal work with DFID and other European donors preferred.
- Preference for candidates with experience living or working in the field in through on site work or via short term technical assistance.
- Proven track record of successful business development efforts.
- Excellent critical thinking, writing, communications skills.
- Ability to work with different teams and in different cultures.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, with the ability to maintain working relationships during stressful proposal processes. Strong sense of humor and a fun spirit a bonus.
- Ability to manage multiple, ongoing obligations and assignments.
- Willingness to travel up to 25% of the time, often in difficult conditions.
- Native level written fluency in English required; French, Spanish or Portuguese language skills a bonus.
- Skilled in MS Office and Excel.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network's offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.