We are looking for a highly qualified Senior Communications Officer will be responsible for leading on media products and relations, leading campaigns and ensuring delivery of content for DRC Jordan, including creating copies for use in traditional media, lead social media channels, establishing media relations and taking photos and videos as required.
Who are we?
DRC is an international non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. With the vision that no displaced person must be in want of help to find protection and durable solutions, DRC provides assistance and protection to conflict-affected in many of the major conflicts in Asia, Africa and Middle East. The assistance can consist of relief and other humanitarian aid, rehabilitation and support to returning home, and the promotion of durable solutions.
About the job
This person will also ensure DRC compliance with donor visibility riles and support Jordan Country Office with training in writing as needed. S/he will be managed by the Jordan Deputy Head of Program and will be technically supported by DRC Regional Office.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Write press releases, feature stories, factsheets and opinion pieces in both Arabic and English for use in DRC channels and in traditional and online media, including newspapers, magazines and media outlets
- Maintain list and establish relationships with key media firms and outlets to ensure DRC Jordan advocacy and communications materials are covered nationally and internationally
- Develop and proactively recommend media strategies and opportunities in alignment DRC Jordan advocacy objectives and to build brand awareness and promote the organisation’s activities.
- Provide information on DRC Jordan activities including sitreps and other reporting as required.
- Lead in-house creative campaigns and content in various formats in collaboration with the MENA RO.
- Source, write and edit internal and external publications
- Production, maintenance, and dissemination of media products and tools for DRC Jordan.
- Develop and monitor communications schedules, liaising with staff to ensure reports, publications, graphics and videos are produced in a timely manner.
- Ensure adherence to DRC policies and donor requirements in all external communications for DRC Jordan offices.
To be successful in this role you must have:
Required qualifications/ experience
- University degree in communication and/or journalism
- At least 4 years of experience in communications, media, or journalism, preferably in an NGO or media setting.
- Experience in writing for news media and magazines in Arabic and English
- Experience in editing and copy editing
- Experience in media relations
- Previous experience with publications preferred
- Previous experience with online and offline campaigns preferred
- Ability to communicate technical information in an easy to understand, informative and collaborative manner
- Good knowledge of the Core Humanitarian Standards or other accountability measures/standards
- Experience in training and capacity building
- High integrity and willingness to conduct her/himself transparently and open to scrutiny
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.