Current Hiring Practices and Trends in the Development Sector
- BY David Mackenzie
Title: Senior Manager of Finance and Subaward Compliance
Reports to: Associate Director of Finance, Compliance and Administration
Summary of Position:
The Senior Manager will report to the Associate Director of Finance,
Compliance and Administration, and will manage the day to day
implementation of finance and subawardee compliance activities for the
organization. The Senior Manager will supervise the Finance and
Administrative Assistant, and conduct assessments of and provide
capacity building support to affiliate organizations.
Position to be based in Washington, D.C.; however, candidates based
in Amman or Cairo will be considered, provided they are legally
authorized to work in those locations without sponsorship and have the
ability to travel throughout MENA region.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Support accounting and finance operations and ensure that
established financial policies and procedures are properly implemented
and financial operations are in accordance with donor rules and
regulations and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
· Contribute to the formation and implementation of financial and
administrative policies and procedures, including manuals and forms.
· Review and evaluate all proposed budgets, both internal and from
affiliates and prospective grantees, and provide financial advice to
· Review cash advance requests and arrange for timely and effective
transfer of financial resources between EFE Global and subawardees to
support program activities.
· Ensure contract and grant payments/advances are made in accordance
with contract/grant agreements, and all supporting documentation is
· Oversee the acceptance of project costs and related invoicing,
including periodic review of invoices, to ensure strict adherence with
the donor regulations, as applicable.
· Develop updated reporting documents to meet internal and board
stakeholder needs and regularly implement to enhance decision making.
· Ensure donors and relevant staff receive timely and accurate financial information.
· Oversee procurement (market research, negotiation memoranda,
purchase memos, cost and price analysis, file maintenance, contracts,
· Supervise Finance and Administrative Assistant.
Contracts and Grants Management
· Implement systems to track and monitor finance related award terms
and conditions to ensure compliance with donor requirements.
· Work closely with program staff regarding approvals, deliverables,
and information collection as it relates to existing awards.
· Draft subcontracts and sub-awards to conform to Prime Award terms and conditions.
· Develop and deploy grant and contract tools and systems to support compliance and grant management.
· Review funder agreements and identify and negotiate areas of concern.
· Upgrade systems to maintain permanent files including prime and
sub-award documents regarding funding or other terms and conditions.
· Assist with research on compliance related questions and provide
guidance and training to staff on contract and grant administration
· Assist with drafting and interpretation of internal policies and
procedures regarding compliance under contracts, grants, and
· Ensure compliance with subaward management manuals and templates,
conduct subaward pre-award assessments, and regularly update post-award
· Participate in project launch and close-out activities.
Support to Affiliates and Subawardees
· Support standardization projects across the network, including
financial policies, procedures, systems, processes, and documentation to
comply with donor regulations and international best practice.
· Provide training to affiliate staff on implementation of best practice across a broad range of financial areas.
· Assist affiliates with major financial projects such as deployment of new accounting platforms.
· Train affiliate staff on donor and internal financial requirements and constraints.
· Assist affiliates in the preparation of board or other financial materials with a third party audience.
· Recommend and support the deployment of new technologies to support financial management across the network.
· Provide research and training on compliance related questions from affiliates.
· Provide guidance on contract and grant administration compliance issues.
· Support affiliates in procurement including RFP review, oversight
of major procurements, and assistance with preparation of contracts with
· Identify training plans and areas for support for affiliates
through the development and deployment of a capacity assessment tool.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or closely related field
with 7 years relevant work experience or Master’s Degree with 5 years
relevant work experience;
· Experiential knowledge of FAR, AIDAR, ADS, and relevant OMB circulars;
· Experience working on financial, administrative, and compliance
management in a multi-funder environment including US government and
private foundation grants and contracts;
· Strong problem solving and analytical skills;
· Prior experience in proposal budget preparation and understanding of different pricing models and financial presentation;
· Willingness to travel to affiliate offices in the Middle East and North Africa as needed (at least 30% time);
· Demonstrated ability to effectively to work with a diverse team,
with attention to mentorship and professional development of staff;
· Self-motivated and organized with attention to detail;
· Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills. Knowledge of Arabic and/or French required;
· Ability to multi-task, prioritize assignments, and meet multiple deadlines; and,
· Previous experience with international nonprofit organization is required.