SIPRI seeks a Senior Researcher to work as part of the team on the project, “Targeted civil society contributions to national and local post-conflict policies to address the safety and security challenges for the population in Mali”. Funding for this project has been provided by the Swedish International Development Agency (Sida).
The main tasks of this position, working together with a partner organization in Mali, and in consultation with the Head of Project are to
• Help develop capacity within Malian civil society so it can contribute to policy development and other activities that address safety and security challenges in Mali;
• Develop and coordinate a framework for civil society monitoring and reporting on the safety and security challenges to improve post-conflict policies in Mali;
• Undertake research on topics of relevance for the project, and write-up and present findings;
• A PhD in a relevant discipline (or publications to a comparable level on themes that are relevant) for a project on post-conflict policies, peace, safety and security and in Sahel region and West African countries;
• An in-depth knowledge of francophone African history, economic, political, safety and security issues;
• Experience of working with civil society organizations on capacity building in the field of peace, safety and security, preferably in francophone Africa;
• Fluency in written and spoken English and French;
• Ability and demonstrated experience in writing at an academic level;
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
• An interest in and understanding of issues relating to international peace, safety and security challenges and post-conflict policies.
Read the full position description on the SIPRI website:http://www.sipri.org/about/vacancies/mali_senior_researcher
How to apply
If interested in applying for this position, please submit a one-page letter, in both English and French, detailing your qualifications and interests in the subject area, and a full CV in English with information about your educational background, relevant experience, skills, major publications and 2 writing samples. Applications should be sent via email to: email@example.com. Please state ‘Mali project-Senior Researcher’ as a reference in the subject line of your email with the application materials.
The initial closing date for applications is 29 February 2016.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please note that, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information about the Mali project, please contact SIPRI Mali Programme Coordinator Helen Palmgren, firstname.lastname@example.org. For enquiries regarding the vacant position, contact SIPRI Mali Project Head, Dr Elisabeth Sköns, email@example.com.