Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia
(Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
External female candidates.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Bangladesh, in coordination with the Senior Regional Resource Management Officer for Asia and the Pacific, and in collaboration with relevant units at Headquarters (HQs) and Administrative Centres (Manila and Panama), the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible for managing, monitoring and administering the financial, budget, treasury, human resources, procurement/logistics and IT activities in the mission and its sub-offices.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Plan and monitor the financial management of all activities of the mission. Supervise/coordinate the preparation of financial reports, donor reports and budgets. Provide oversight of financial expenditures and undertake financial analysis of projects in the mission.
- Ensure implementation of and adherence to internal controls to prevent fraud and mismanagement. Develop and implement relevant operational control systems.
- Coordinate and oversee day-to-day administrative, finance, human resources,
procurement/logistics, IT and other administrative activities in the Mission and its sub-offices.
- Support and provide guidance to staff in matters related to IOM’s administrative questions, local institutions, internal regulations and human resources issues with a view to enhance their knowledge for the smooth running of the mission’s operations. Liaise with relevant units in HQs, Administrative Centres and the Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific to obtain/forward information and coordinate activities.
- Supervise Human Resources, Finance, Procurement, Logistics, Common Service (COS) and Information Technology (IT) units in line with the Organization’s policies and procedures. Provide support and training in administration/finance.
- Participate in the senior management team in the development and implementation of short- and long-term management objectives and goals. Liaise with project managers regarding funding levels of ongoing activities and estimated funds coming in through foreseen future activities.
- Represent the Organization at relevant high-level inter-agency meetings as required.
- Oversee the maintenance of the mission’s office premises, equipment, vehicles and supplies.
- Monitor, assess and evaluate the administrative and financial aspects of programme activities of the mission.
- Liaise with donors in regard to new, ongoing or completed projects as required.
- Undertake duty travel to provide administrative support to the sub-offices and resolve problem/issues as requested by the CoM and/or project managers.
- Provide support to the CoM and project managers in answering any queries raised regarding the correct allocation of programme funds and providing any requisite documentation including for auditing purposes.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
- Management experience at the international level, accompanied by background in finance, accounting and budgeting as well as experience in human resources management required;
- Field experience a plus, including in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as international institutions;
- Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and SAP highly desirable;
- Knowledge of IOM/UN accounting systems, software and procedures a distinct advantage;
- High level of computer literacy, in particular, experience in computerized accounting systems and software.
Languages: Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Bengali is an advantage.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.