If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
Under the supervision of the HR Manager, the incumbent will support the management of all human resource activities in Nigeria country office in accordance with the HR work plan, consistent with the Country Programme Management Plan.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
- Promote equity, transparency and consistency in the interpretation, determination and administration of international and local conditions of service, terms of employment, benefits and allowances in accordance with UNIUNICEF regulations and rules. Advise management and staff on correct interpretation and application of HR policies and procedures and provide counselling as required. Coordinate with relevant Government ministries and other appropriate local institutions to ensure the processing of international staff conditions of service, entitlements and privileges in country.
- Support the office's administrative and technical needs for professional officers, general service and temporary staff by implementing and administering effective and speedy recruitment procedures. Ensure organizational targets (geographic distribution, gender, etc.) are met while not compromising on the recruitment and retention of national staff of the highest caliber. Team with supervisors in the recruitment process to ensure integrity and merit in all selection procedures while supporting the needs of managers and goals of diversity. Promote equity, transparency and consistency in the selection and placement of staff.
- Ensure appropriate and timely actions for renewals of contracts, promotions, within-grade increments, and performance evaluations. Develop and implement plans, including timetables, for contract reviews, renewals and terminations; ensures timely notice to staff.
- Implement and administer the fair, equitable and systematic GS classification in compliance with the established standards and procedures as well as the classification principle of equal pay for work of equal value by ensuring all job descriptions are current and duly classified. Make recommendations on the organizational structure of the office and effective utilization of human resources (HR).
- Enhance staff's job performance by supporting the identification of training needs, preparation of training proposals and arranging for implementation and evaluation of training. Provide HR training and support as required in country, including at sub-office locations.
- Provide orientation briefing to newly arrived staff Promote a rational and attainable career management system to meet the office's current and future needs.
- Monitor potential staff – management issues; provide advice to managers/supervisors on appropriate approach to be used in sound performance management and in counselling staff. Serve as technical resource and provide administrative support to staff- management bodies such as SAP, APC, JCP, and JCC.
- Contribute to the budget preparation and review process through an analysis of staffing pattern and needs of the office. Participate in management meetings affecting HR planning and management.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- University degree in social sciences or other relevant disciplines (human resources, business administration, international relations, psychology, etc). Additional professional training an advantage.
- Two years of relevant professional work experience and field work experience.
- Experience in hiring and recruitment process will be an advantage
- Background/familiarity with emergency.
- Fluency in English.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Drive for Result
- Working with People
- Applying Technical Expertise
- Following Instructions and Procedures
- Planning and Organizing
- Relating and Networking
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.