Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
February 2015 –
Statistics and performance measurement expert (Quality assurance) European Commission, DG Neighborhood, Brussels
Technical assistance to the implementation of the External Results Oriented Monitoring (ROM) mechanism concerning programs and projects financed by the European Commission for the European Neighborhood region (North Africa, Middle East, Community of Independent States).
August 2013 to August 2014
Chief technical adviser European Commission, DG Development and Cooperation, Rural Development Directorate, Brussels
Technical advice and support for the implementation of the European Commission’s sustainable agriculture and food security agenda.
Among other responsibilities :
October 2009 to date
Consultant economist Own consultancy, Italy then Switzerland
· carrying out macro-economic and financial analysis in the context of internationally-funded investment programs, mainly in developing countries;
Clients: European Union, United Nations Development Program, National Authorizing Officer of Guinea Bissau, Ministries of Water Resources, Fisheries and Environment in Algeria, Ministry of Internal Affairs of Liberia, National Planning Commission of Nigeria.
Examples of ongoing or successfully concluded assignments:
· technical support to the Government of Morocco for the design of an action plan for regulatory convergence with EU norms and standards ;
· methodological support to the Directorate of Regional Planning in the Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Angola ;
· economic and financial analysis of the water sector and the water utilities in Guinea Bissau, including the coordination of an econometric study on water demand in the capital city;
· design of comprehensive economic approaches to the sectors of water and sanitation, fisheries and environment in Algeria;
· assessment of the functioning of public financial management, internal control and risk management systems in São Tomé e Príncipe, Algeria, Liberia, Nigeria and recommendations for improvement;
· facilitation of consultative workshops on budgetary reforms, institutional and organizational development in Mali, Morocco, Rwanda, Senegal;
· socio-economic study on the prospects for the sustainable development of the Niger Delta region of Nigeria.
August 2005 to date
Management consultant Own consultancy, Italy then Switzerland
Main function: advice and technical support to public sector agencies, notably in the developing world, on public policy and economic planning, financial management and procurement, human resource development and organizational change.
Clients: European Union, United States Agency for International Development, United Nations Development Program, World Bank, United Nations Mission in the Sudan, Ministry of Peace and Reconstruction in Nepal, Presidency of the Republic of Chad.
Examples of successfully concluded assignments:
· training of Palestinian Authority officials on medium-term financial planning, budget cycle and external audit, especially performance audit ;
· evaluation of the functional capacity of the (now independent) Government of Southern Sudan and prioritization of capacity development interventions in the areas of policy-making, strategic planning and public financial management;
· formulation of a multi-donor financial support package to the post-conflict transition in Nepal;
· technical assistance to the set-up of a department of the Chadian Presidency dealing with socio-economic recovery in Eastern Chad;
· development of a needs assessment, monitoring and evaluation framework in the Sudan and other post-conflict or fragile countries;
· process facilitation support in the management of the Darfur peace negotiations;
· field researcher in the Sudan on behalf of the Crisis Group, Brussels (an international public policy think-tank).
March 2006 to October 2007 Ministry of Foreign Affairs Rome, Italy
Deputy head of division, Directorate General for Africa
· Sudan desk officer.
· Acting Somalia desk officer.
April 2004 to July 2005 UNDP Khartoum, The Sudan/Nairobi, Kenya
Senior Policy Adviser
· Strategic planning and policy advice.
· Field and desk research.
· Participation in the facilitation of the peace negotiations on Southern Sudan.
October 2001 to March 2004 Italian Embassy Nairobi, Kenya
Political Counselor and Deputy Ambassador
· General human resource management of up to 30 staff members and oversight of financial management operations.
· Participation in the facilitation of the peace negotiations on Southern Sudan and Somalia and the European Union-Kenya political dialogue.
February 1998 to October 2001 Italian Consulate Mulhouse, France
· Supervision of up to 15 permanent and interim staff in all aspects of administration. Co-ordinated and oversaw in-house office management and financial operations.
March 1995 to January 1998 Ministry of Foreign Affairs Rome, Italy
Acting Chief of Staff to the Director General for Cultural Affairs
March 1994 to February 1995 Ministry of Foreign Affairs Rome, Italy
Program officer, Training Department
February 1993 to February 1994 University of Bologna, Italy
Fellow in the Department of Linguistics
January 1992 to January 1993 Universities of Constanta and Iasi, Romania
Lecturer in Italian language, literature and civilization