WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. Our work focuses on building sustainable and livable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
- The Food and Land Use Coalition (FOLU) seeks to accelerate a transformation of the world’s food and land use systems to better protect our natural environment; provide nutritious and affordable food; strengthen resilience and enhance the prosperity of people; and meet the global commitments of the SDGs, the CBD and the Paris Agreement.
- The Coalition has recently embarked on an initial phase of work to establish a FOLU Platform in India in 2019. Over the 2019-2020 period, FOLU will expand its influence in India and deepen the Coalition’s ongoing work. The establishment of a FOLU Platform, involving the talents and capabilities of each of the Coalition’s core partners in India – CEEW, IIMA, TERI and WRI India – is a critical first phase to longer-term engagement for FOLU in India.
Objectives of Assignment
FOLU India partners are carrying out research on different topics as preparation to developing the FOLU India Country Platform interventions. India is one of the largest importers of processed food and edible oil. India’s palm oil imports are about 9 million tonnes, which are mainly sourced from SE Asian countries – Malaysia and Indonesia. Similarly, India exports food commodities to the international market as well. An understanding about the impact that these imports and exports have on domestic and international land use and environment is also important in identifying the critical transitions necessary for India to make its food and land use systems more sustainable. The FOLU India Country Platform is looking for a partner to conduct research on this topic.
Scope of the work
- Analyze the agricultural commodity import and export profile of India with the sources and destinations for the last five years. This should include major agriculture commodities such as rice, wheat, pulses, sugar, vegetables, fruits, oilseeds and edible oils (including palm oil), meat and dairy products, discussing opportunities and risks, environmental impacts and sustainability. A list of commodities to be covered should be shared with FOLU India early on in the research process.
- Utilize consultations and secondary literature to detail the impacts of India’s agriculture commodity imports and exports on domestic and international land use and ecosystems.
- Include some discussion of the domestic consumption and production of these commodities, as well as substitutability among them where appropriate.
- Discuss the prospects for greening India’s soft commodity supply chains for a selected number of key commodities (to be agreed with FOLU India), and provide recommendations for what aspects FOLU India should focus on.
Expected Results and deliverables
- Outline and methodology to be prepared, including data collection, consultations and data analysis within 15 days of inception of the study.
- Regular progress reports on the research work in the mutually agreed format during the inception of the project with presentation to the FOLU India team
- Final report addressing the elements in the scope of work to be completed by June 1, 2020.
- Way Forward
- Interested agencies should send their proposals with in 7 days of receiving the call for EoI, with the following details
- A brief Institutional background with reference to the research topic
- Brief proposed methodology of the study
- Financial budget
- Evaluation of the EoIs
- FOLU India team will evaluate the EoIs with 70% weightage to the Institutional background, and proposed methodology and 30% weightage to the financial budget provided.
Location : Anywhere in India
- Only Qualified applicants should apply online at https://jobs.jobvite.com/wri/jobs . All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
- Finalized candidate will be required to take a writing/analytical test.