The Copyright Agency’s Cultural Fund offers grants to leading organizations for projects that deliver exceptional opportunities for Australian writers, journalists, editors, English and literacy teachers, visual artists, and key industry stakeholders in the writing, publishing, education, and visual arts sectors.
With these grants for organizations, their aim is to support their members and key industry stakeholders to create, award, present, publish, and to offer significant professional development and career sustaining opportunities for writers, visual artists and publishers.
The Cultural Fund encourages potential applicants to create opportunities for writers and visual artists at all career stages. Their priority is to support projects that will provide sustained and realistic support to writers and visual artists and to encourage greater audiences for their work.
They also offer grants to leading national writing organizations to build literacy skills for children and young adults and to encourage reading at all levels, and they are particularly interested in supporting partnerships with key industry organizations to raise the profile of writing and writers.
- While there are no set minimum or maximum amounts, our grants range from $5,000 to $20,000 per project/year.
- Applicants are encouraged to discuss their project with the Cultural Fund before applying.
- What Projects they Support?
Projects supported include:
- Skills development and professional development opportunities for writers and visual artists and people working in publishing.
- Writers’ fees for significant new publications by Australian book publishers.
- Writers’ fees for Australian literary magazines and journals.
- Artists’ fees for new commissions presented by art galleries.
- Mentorships, residencies, internships for writers, visual artists and publishers.
- Writers’ and visual artists’ fees for industry-led conferences and art book fairs.
- Writers’ and visual artists’ fees for projects with educational and cultural institutions.
- Partnerships with major national writers’ festivals, by invitation only.
- Awards and prizes for writers and visual artists.
- Professional development programs run by writing, publishing and visual arts industry associations.
- Commissioning fees for playwrights for work presented by Theatre companies.
- Literary and literacy-building activities.
- Indigenous-led organizations to deliver projects to benefit Indigenous writers and visual artist.
- Opportunities to upskill teachers in Australian literature.
- Projects to enhance the Copyright Agency’s Reading Australia.
Who can apply?
- Legally constituted organizations and incorporated associations may apply.
- If applying as a University, only one application from the University may be submitted per round. You should confirm this before applying.
- Individuals or sole traders are not eligible to apply for these grants.
- Applicants may submit only one application per round to the Cultural Fund.
- Applicants must have acquitted any overdue Cultural Fund grants to be eligible to apply for further funding.
How to apply
- You must apply via the SmartyGrants online grants platform.
- Applications must be submitted by the closing date via the SmartyGrants online system.
- Late applications will not be accepted.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.