Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Deadline: September 18, 2016
Location: Switzerland (Headquarter)
Paid Internship !!
The Centre for Mediterranean Cooperation of IUCN (IUCN MED) is seeking a motivated candidate for the position of Ecosystem Programme Intern, to support the Ecosystem department of IUCN MED.
The Ecosystems Programme Intern is expected to support the work the Ecosystem Department is doing in the Mediterranean, with special focus on protected areas and communication and raising awareness activities in the Mediterranean.
This call is for students or for early graduates who are still able to perform an internship under the framework of their institution.
Under the direct supervision of the Ecosystems Programme Officer and the Ecosystem Programme Assistant, the Ecosystem Programme Intern will support the work the Ecosystem Department is doing in the Mediterranean. This will include activities such as support for a Mediterranean Protected Area database design, communication activities, the organization of workshops, as well as a range of administrative activities.
This assignment will include the following responsibilities:
• Help defining the structure and start growing a database on protected areas of the Mediterranean; (80%)
• Help on updating the Ecosystem Department activities in the IUCN website and feeding social media with update news and information about the department’s projects and activities; (10%)
• Support the Ecosystem Department in the conception and drafting of its Communication strategy; (5%)
• Help organizing and disseminating the department’s planned project’s events; (5%)
• Undertake any other task/emerging issues at the request of the Programme Officer or Assistant to ensure the effective implementation of the programme.
• It is mandatory that the candidate be included in academic studies as the agreement will be between IUCN-Med and the University of the candidate• A motivated University student (preferably 2nd year of Master) or early graduate endorsed by an institution that allows your participation in the capacity of intern
• Background on environmental science, biology (or any other discipline that is relevant to nature conservation) or in the final stages of acquiring it.
• Strong written and oral communication skills. Excellent writing and editing skills in French and English. Knowledge of another Mediterranean language will be an asset, in particular Arabic
• Very good computer skills in particular, database programmes (Access and Excel), internet and high experience with social media is an asset.
• Prior knowledge of theIUCN Protected Areas Categories and protected areas management tools is an advantage
• Ability to work independently and on multiple tasks simultaneously. Ability to meet tight deadlines without compromising the quality of outputs.
Good organizational and communication skills.
High interest in Mediterranean protected areas and biodiversity conservation issues.
Having previous work experience in a similar field will be an asset
• Conditions: Fixed-term contract for 6 months The candidate will get an internship gross allowance of 550€ per month approximately.
The transport cost will be covered by the student.
Applicants are requested to apply online through the HR Management System, by opening the vacancy announcement and pressing the “Apply” button.
Applicants will be asked to create an account and submit their profile information. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight, Swiss time (GMT+1 / GMT+2 during Daylight Saving Time, DST).