The European and Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP) joint call with the Africa Research Excellence Fund (AREF) are seeking applications for its “Preparatory Fellowships”.
The purpose of the EDCTP-AREF Preparatory Fellowships is to enhance the competitiveness of up and coming post-doctoral African scientists and clinicians aspiring to win international /regional /national fellowships or grant support, such as the EDCTP Career Development Fellowships, through short-term placements at a host organisation in EU Members States, in countries associated to Horizon 2020 or in Sub-Saharan Africa which will be contracted by the home organisation to host the fellow.
Enable outstanding African researchers (0 to 3-year post-PhD or MD) to:
- Further advance their research skills, through short-course(s) and hands-on training, especially using biological samples and/or data they or their home organisations have generated;
- strengthen their competencies in project and proposal design;
- enhance essential “generic/transferable researcher skills” that have the outcomes of secure research relationships, and effective use of fellowship/grant opportunities and funding;
- contribute to creating a critical mass of researchers optimally equipped with knowledge and skills to address local research needs.
- Enable individuals to deploy their own resourcefulness and research relationships to best effect in competing for early/mid-career Fellowships, such as (but not only) the EDCTP Career Development Fellowships
- Enhance career development and early retention of postdoctoral researchers and postgraduate medical researchers in research in and for sub-Saharan Africa
- To provide a firm foundation and increase the quality, efficiency and impact of fellowship projects funded by organisations such as EDCTP.
- The applicant must be an organisation with an established legal entity in sub-Saharan Africa (the applicant legal entity).
- The fellow must be employed or have guaranteed employment by the applicant legal entity (the home organisation) where they intend to remain working for a minimum of two years after the expiration of the grant.
- be a post-doctoral scientist
- have been awarded their doctorate within 3 years before submission deadline of the AREF-EDCTP Preparatory Fellowship application
- have been either a PhD student or MD, and have been active researchers for up to three years following award of their doctorate
- be resident of or be willing to relocate to a sub-Saharan African country
- not have been funded under this fellowship scheme before
- The requested EDCTP contribution per action shall not exceed €70, 000
- Placements sought shall be for a period of at least 3 and up to 9 months, following which there will be a re-integration period of up to 3 months. The maximum fellowship duration shall be 12 months.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online via given website.
For more information, please visit EDCTP-AREF.