Deadline: February 24, 2017
The Louis Bacon Environmental Leadership Program brings together emerging leaders dedicated to preserving and enhancing our shared environment. The program connects fellows with highly accomplished national and international leaders, providing them with the skills to:
- Foster sustainable environmental impact
- Build cross-sector partnerships to accomplish key goals
- Inspire new ideas and innovative change in the policies and programs that safeguard natural resources and promote a healthy global ecosystem
This program is a game-changing opportunity for scholars and practitioners eager to take up the mantle of environmental leadership and stewardship for the rising generation.
- Louis Bacon Environmental Leadership Fellows are awarded a full tuition scholarship and health fees for up to two years, depending on the length of their graduate degree program.
- Fellows are eligible for a stipend up to $10,000 for up to two years depending on their graduate degree program.
- Applicants will be considered based on their excellent academic credentials and a demonstrated focus on developing leadership abilities to impact environmental public policy and practice.
CPL seeks a diverse cohort of fellows with emerging leaders from the government, business, and NGO communities dedicated to preserving and enhancing our shared environment.
- Fellows will participate in a robust cocurricular program offered by the Center for Public Leadership.
- This fellowship is open to applicants entering their first year of study in any of the Harvard Kennedy School’s masters’ degree programs. Students pursuing a joint degree at HKS and another Harvard graduate or professional school or those in concurrent programs at other approved universities or schools may also apply.
- The fellowship will be open to all admitted master’s degree program students and will not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, or national origin.
Award decisions will be primarily merit based but with a consideration of financial need as determined by the HKS Student Financial Services.
The Fellowship Experience:
Louis Bacon Environmental Leadership Fellows are a part of the Center for Public Leadership’s community of graduate fellows and will participate in an enriching co-curricular experience designed to enhance their skills and engage their development as emerging leaders in environmental public policy and practice. The co-curricular program typically includes a welcome retreat, a weekly series of speakers, workshops and seminars, a field experience and opportunities to connect with other Center for Public Leadership fellows and alumni.
Step 1: Apply to Harvard Kennedy School: Application deadline is December 1, 2016.
Step 2: Apply for the Fellowship: Application deadline for the Bacon Fellowship is February 24, 2017.
To apply for the Bacon Fellowship please visit the Student Financial Services web site.
Applicants must submit:
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae, not to exceed 2 pages in length.
- A document containing written responses to the following two prompts:
- Please discuss a topic you are passionate about and its personal significance (1,000 words or less).
- Please discuss briefly your interest in the Louis Bacon Environmental Fellowship and how your experiences and goals have motivated you to apply (200 words or less).
- Two letters of recommendation specifically supporting your candidacy for the Louis Bacon Environmental Leadership Fellowship. The letters must be in PDF form, signed by the referrer and on letterhead indicating the referrer’s institution/organization. Recommendation letters must be received by the deadline date for the application to be considered. All application materials, including recommendations must be submitted by the fellowship application deadline, February 28, 2017.
Finalists for the Louis Bacon Environmental Leadership Fellowship will be will be interviewed in mid-March 2017 by the Louis Bacon Environmental Leadership Fellowship Selection Committee.