he European Commission is currently accepting proposals from eligible organizations for a programme entitled “Improving Secondary Education in Malawi (ISEM)”. ISEM has been designed with an overall objective to strengthen Malawi’s education sector and its capacity to satisfy the economy’s need for educated youth through expansion and improvement of equitable access to inclusive quality education.
ISEM mission is to:
- Increase access to secondary education through rehabilitation of selected schools (CDSSs), including hostels for girls and structures for students with special needs.
- Improve the quality and relevance of secondary education, by training teachers to achieve at least minimum qualifications; equipping schools with adequate teaching and learning materials; strengthening opportunities for technical training through refurbished and equipped workshops, and technical teacher training.
- Strengthen the governance of the sector and facilitating the decentralization process for the improvement of the management of secondary schools.
- provide measures to ensure the targeted groups access secondary education;
- improve the participation and performance of the targeted groups;
- develop social support mechanisms that will support the targeted groups to remain and complete secondary school
Size of Grants
Any grant requested under this Call for Proposals must fall between the following minimum and maximum amounts:
- Minimum amount: € 300,000 (three hundred thousand Euro).
- Maximum amount: € 1,000,000 (one million Euro).
- In order to be eligible for a grant, the applicant must:
- be a legal person
- be a specific type of organization such as: non-governmental, public sector operator, local authority, international (inter-governmental) organizations
- be established in a Member State of the European Union or in a country of the European Economic Area or an ACP State or Member State of the OECD or developing countries and territories, as included in the OECD-DAC list of ODA Recipients, which are not members of the G20 group, without prejudice to the status of the Republic of South Africa,this obligation does not apply to international organisations
- be directly responsible for the preparation and management of the action with the co-applicant(s) and affiliated entity(ies), not acting as an intermediary.
- Co-applicant(s) participate in designing and implementing the action, and the costs they incur are eligible in the same way as those incurred by the applicant.
How to Apply
Applicants have to register themselves in PADOR, an on-line database via given website.
For more information, please visit Europeaid and download the guidelines.