The Noel Buxton Trust is currently seeking applications for its Africa Grants, with an aim to support and protect street children, and help them find safe and sustainable livelihoods. Trustees would like to focus their limited funds on economic development rather than service provision.
Grants Information: The maximum grant is £5,000 per year for up to three years.
- Trustees favour work such as small business support and training, and microfinance in both urban and rural settings.
- Applications in support of initiatives that are building sustainable futures in the semi arid areas of Africa are especially welcome.
- The Trust would welcome applications that enable successful practical solutions to be replicated or that aim to bring about relevant policy change through effective advocacy.
- They would also welcome applications that demonstrate a commitment to strengthening community based organisations and ensuring the voice of poor and marginalised women and men are properly heard and respected.
- The Trustees fund work in Africa. At present they favour projects based in Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Uganda, Sudan and South Sudan.
- Priority will be given to work with communities living in urban slums and semi-arid regions where economic hardship is most extreme.
- The Trustees would welcome applications from Sahelian countries as long as they can be submitted in English.
- Trustees tend to offer grants to smaller, grass-roots organisations and do not generally respond to appeals from large and well-supported charities.
- The Trustees welcome applications from diaspora led organisations based and registered in the UK.
- The Trust is willing to consider direct applications from registered civil society organisations in Africa or UK based charities which might be diaspora organisations based in the UK.
- Applications need to be made in English.
- Trustees expect to see a strong relationship between the applicant organisation and the community that will benefit from the grant. This is demonstrated when the applicant shows a clear understanding of the economic, environmental and social issues facing the community.
- Trustees like to see practical ways in which communities will be strengthened by the work they fund and, especially, how women and girls will be empowered.
How to Apply
Applicants must send a short letter (1-2 pages) via post and also include:
- budget for current and following year
- details of funding already received, promised or applied for from other sources
- latest annual report / accounts in the shortest available form
For more information, please visit Noel Buxton Trust.
Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cabo Verde, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Republic of the, Congo, Democratic Republic of the Cote d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.