Two major objectives of The Konosuke Matsushita Memorial Foundation are:
- To contribute to the society by promoting international understanding
- To realize a society where mankind respects nature and harmonize with it under the concept of “co-existence of nature and mankind”
In line with these objectives, the Foundation provides funds to excellent research activities in the areas of humanities and social science
Areas of Research
Research activities in the areas of humanities and social science which are expected to contribute to achieving the goal of the Foundation, by
- promoting “international understanding” by solving various issues which exist between Japan and other nations
- promoting “coexistence of nature and mankind”
The research is required to have global perspective and be based on high social and academic demand.
Pioneering researches based on creative ideas are highly welcome.
- Researches aimed at making profit
- Researches which are actually considered to be completed.
- Researches which require a huge amount of research expenses
- Researches whose period is less than 6 months in the grant period
Eligibility and Conditions for Applicants
Students in doctoral course and researchers within five years after finishing doctoral course, who have not received grants from the foundation in the past. (Eligibility is judged by your position at the time of application)
There are no restrictions concerning nationality, organizations you belong to, or areas of residence
Outline of the Grants
Number of Grant Recipients Around 50 students/researchers
Amount of Grants
- The maximum amount of grant per student/researcher is 500,000 yen.
- The amount of each grant will be assessed by the content of each research project and the rationality of its budget.
Term of Grants
- Term of grants shall be one year from October 1, 2018 to September 30, 2019.
4Use of Grants
- Grants are to be used for necessary expenses in carrying out and putting research plans in order, and expenses shall be itemized in accordance with the List of Items of Expenditures in a separate page. The applied amount and the itemized budget should always match with each other.
- Expenses required for printing reports, issuing publications, holding symposiums and attending overseas academic conferences for the purpose of opening the results of the research to the public shall not be included in the grants.
Main Duties of the Recipients and Others
- The recipients of the grants shall submit a pledge to the Foundation at the start of the program and report on the process, results and accounts of research upon completion. When the valid reports are not submitted within 6 months after the grants period, we request the recipients to return all the grants they had received.
- In case the expense exceeds 10,000 yen, receipts should be attached to the financial report. Receipts for expenses less than 10,000 yen shall be saved by the end of the grant period in case that the Foundation request to submit.
- Surplus must be returned to the Foundation.
- Please take note in advance that the process and results of the research will be made public through the website of the Foundation.
Selection method and Criteria for screening
- Careful and fair screening will be conducted by the screening committee in mid-July, 2018.
Notice of the result
- The results will be informed to the applicants by e-mail by the beginning of August, 2018. Please understand that the Foundation will not respond to any inquiries regarding the reasons for the results.
Criteria of Screening
In screening, we focus on researches in the areas of humanities and social science which meet the following criteria:
- Research which is in line with the objectives and activities of the Foundation,
- Research which has high social and academic importance
- Research which is creative and pioneering
- Research which will be carried out by highly motivated and competent researchers and with excellent research plans and setups
- Research with rational and appropriate budget plan.