Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), in collaboration with MRC, is inviting proposals for adventurous (high risk, high gain) projects as part of the second phase of the Transformative Healthcare Technologies for 2050 call, otherwise referred to as the Transformative Healthcare Technologies 2.0 call.
This call will target projects that that are guided by a longer-term vision to pursue new, “high risk high reward” ideas and develop thinking and approaches supported by the next generation of underpinning science, engineering and emerging technologies in the healthcare space.
They seek and encourage adventurous ideas, new thinking and collaborations that have the potential to significantly improve healthcare delivery by 2050.
- This Transformative Healthcare Technologies call aims to bring together the ‘Healthcare’ community through adventurous and novel multi-disciplinary/interdisciplinary research and innovation drawing on novel Engineering, Physical Sciences, Mathematical Sciences and ICT to deliver technologies that will impact and transform healthcare by the year 2050. They are encouraging multidisciplinary teams to apply, including co-collaboration with healthcare professionals, social scientists, patients, and users.
- Through this call, EPSRC intends to fund ambitious collaborative projects that are truly adventurous and transformative, with concerted approaches toward the development of innovative solutions to any area of healthcare that will result in a step change in health and well-being.
EPSRC is particularly keen to help realise the potential of the following:
- Research that merges robotics and biological systems;
- Pre-symptomatic diagnosis and continuous health monitoring;
- Future affordable and inclusive healthcare solutions
- Technologies to improve healthcare treatment
- Repurposing technologies originally developed for other fields for potential healthcare impact
Applicant’s attention is also drawn to the EPSRC Healthcare Technologies Grand Challenges:
- Developing Future Therapies
- Frontiers of Physical Intervention
- Optimising Treatment
- Transforming Community Health and Care
- EPSRC is encouraging researchers to start discussing possible projects with prospective partners. The call will require that the lead investigator is a UK academic. Collaborations with external partners and industry, nationally and internationally, are encouraged and the usual EPSRC rules and expectation applies.