Current Hiring Practices and Trends in the Development Sector
- BY David Mackenzie
The Skoll MBA Scholarship is a competitive scholarship for incoming MBA students who pursue entrepreneurial solutions for urgent social and environmental challenges. The Scholarship provides funding and exclusive opportunities to meet with world-renowned entrepreneurs, thought-leaders and investors.
Said Business School at University of Oxford, UK.
Field of study:
Full-time Masters in Business Administration (MBA)
Number of Awards:
Up to 5 every year
The scholarship covers the full costs of tuition and college fees for the MBA programme as well as partial living expenses based on need, up to an additional £8,000.
1. Entrepreneurial action
* You have identified opportunities and taken action in order to make positive social impact
• You have spent preferably at least 3 years driving change through entrepreneurial approaches. For example, you could have:
– Started or grown a social venture
– OR led the expansion of a social impact initiative within an organisation
– OR been tackling a specific social/environmental issue, through a core thread that unites your work
2. Creating impact with a focus on systems change
• You can demonstrate the outcomes and impact of your entrepreneurial action
• Your impact addresses unjust systems and practise in your area of work
3. Personal qualities of a social entrepreneur
• You are a force for positive change
• You are single-minded and persistent, with a willingness to fail and start again
• You have bias toward action
• You have a tendency to explore your environment for opportunities and resources
• You have a willingness to take personal, and sometimes financial, risks
• You develop networks and leverage members to pursue mutual goals
• You have apprenticed with the problem* or experienced the problem you are trying to solve
4. The Oxford MBA is critical to your career trajectory
• You can demonstrate why business education is essential in helping to develop your work/impact at this stage
5. Financial need
• You are in a position where the cost of the programme is a significant financial burden
• You can demonstrate the need for the Scholarship (for example, due to previous work experiences or personal circumstances)
To apply for the Skoll Scholarship, you first need to apply and be accepted onto the Saïd Business School’s MBA programme. Candidates must apply in stages 1-2 of the MBA admissions process for the 2018-19 academic year.
To be considered for the scholarship, you must tick the “Skoll Scholarship” box when you submit your MBA application. Once you’ve received confirmation that you have been accepted onto the MBA programme, the Skoll Centre will send you a link to the Scholarship online application which you will need to complete. The deadlines for Stage 1 and 2 admission rounds are 7 September 2018 and 2 November 2018 respectively.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) to access the application form and for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: http://skollscholarship.org/