ABA ROLI Senior Advisor, Criminal Justice
American Bar Association, Manama, Bahrain
Closing Date for Applications:
ABA ROLI is a non-profit program that implements legal reform programs in over 50 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 500 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
The ABA Rule of Law Initiative seeks a long-term advisor with practical criminal justice experience, especially implementing alternatives to detention, including diversion structures and processes, restorative justice, and sentencing reform. This individual will be expected to collaborate with justice sector actors at all seniority levels and other partners in the Gulf region and help design and develop models for the Gulf region within the context of ongoing criminal justice reforms.
- Provide expert support with design and implementation of alternative justice initiatives including provision of one-to-one mentoring support to justice sector actors;
- Analyze training and support needs and design and implement capacity building measures and other training activities for justice sector staff, judges, prosecutors and others necessary;
- Prepare and manage short term expert missions;
- Support design and implementation of public education sessions as necessary;
- Collaborate with the justice sector actors to evaluate and assess the results of the program and develop a strategy for scaling and/or expanding efforts based on the results;
- Prepare technical reports to the Country Director and relevant donor(s); and
- Other duties as needed.
- JD or foreign equivalent and ten or more years of practical experience related to criminal justice;
- Experience managing and implementing US Government donor-funded international development programs;
- Excellent organization skills with the ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities and meet deadlines;
- Ability to act independently to identify and analyze problems and recommend effective solutions;
- Working knowledge of MENA region is highly desirable
- Fluency in English (knowledge of Arabic is a plus); and
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.