PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Responsible for the more complex activities associated with maintaining ledger accounts and for developing financial statements and reports. Performs a wide variety of complex accounting functions including establishing accounting records, maintaining general accounting system, audit research and schedules, complete annual report or project as needed and recommending modifications based on new regulations or policies.
Help carry out our Christian organization’s mission, vision, and strategies. Personify the ministry of World Vision by witnessing to Christ and ministering to others through life, deed, word and sign.
- Establish and maintain accounting records with appropriate supporting material.
- Prepare and correct entries for general ledger reporting.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and yearly accruals.
- Ascertain whether company assets are properly accounted for and safeguarded from loss.
- Reconcile more complex or difficult accounts that require in-depth analysis and research, including bank statements and inter-company general ledger accounts.
- Periodically review internal controls.
- Prepare and provide appropriate accounting information and reports.
- Produce and analyze financial statements, reviewing for completeness and alignment with contracts, guidelines and/or policies and make adjustments.
- Prepare information that feeds into information for tax forms and reports.
- Prepare audit schedules and help in audit research.
- Coordinate problem resolution and provide technical guidance/training to other finance staff and customers as necessary.
- Research and recommend new systems and procedures to handle new areas where no procedures exist, and handle special accounting programs.
- Remain current and increase knowledge in related areas utilizing self-study and/or continuing education efforts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field.
- Has sufficient knowledge and experience in finance and accounting especially complex bank reconciliation, general ledger, financial statements and government reports.
- Demonstrates expertise in computer skills, including use of Microsoft Office Suite, Lotus Notes, intranet and Internet, and various software applications and databases used in work efforts, especially Microsoft Excel.
- A minimum of 5 years of private/corporate accounting or 2-3 years of work experience where 1 year is in public accounting.
- Demonstrates above average English communication skills (written and oral).
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Demonstrates and maintains a current working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), as determined by the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB), knowledge of nonprofit accounting, gift-in-kind accounting, auditing standards, financial reporting and cash management.
- Certified Public Accountant preferred.
- At least 1 year of work experience in a non-profit or development organization is preferred.
Work Environment/Travel: The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 5% of the time