Americares is a health-focused relief and development organization that saves lives and improves health for people affected by poverty or disaster. Each year, Americares reaches more than 90 countries, including the United States, with life-changing health programs, medicine and medical supplies. Americares is the world’s leading nonprofit provider of donated medicine and medical supplies. For more information, visit americares.org.
Americares is looking for an Accounting Assistant to support accounting responsibilities for the Community Partnerships for Respectful Care project. The Accounting Assistant will work closely with the Finance Officer and Finance and Operations Manager to oversee project accounting and records to ensure compliance with USAID and Americares financial processes, rules and regulations.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Accounts Payable and Receivable:
- Code and enter Accounts Payable invoices for processing
- Post monthly accounts payable entries and complete corresponding paperwork
- Support in the management of Accounts Receivable, including preparations of weekly invoices, monthly statements, posting transactions and payments
Accounting and Auditing:
- Initiate wire request for field project implementation
- Balance and maintain accurate ledgers
- Assist with the development of monthly financial statements, including cash flow and balance sheets
- Prepares monthly reconciliation reports, as well as sub-grant requests and disbursements, advance for activities, and other financial reporting obligations
- Supports the preparation of internal and external audits
- Verify accuracy of vendor invoices, and timely deposit of cash receipts
- Uses SharePoint for backup documentation regularly
- Ensure daily reviews of backup documentation to ensure completeness, accuracy, and full compliance with both USAID and Americares policies and procedures
Travel Advances and Reimbursements:
- Audits travel requests and expense reports for accuracy and compliance
- Follows procedures to ensure accurate and timely payment and reconciliation of travel advances, reimbursements for staff and partner travel
- Reviews and monitors outstanding advances report by paying close attention to advances that have not been settled within 30 days after return from trips.
CORE AMERICARES RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Foster Americares values of responsiveness, results orientation, collaboration, efficiency and integrity;
- Coach, support and develop staff to increase individual and team effectiveness; and
- Develop and manage implementation of plans to increase team operating performance, including SOPs and other efficiency initiatives.
- Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or equivalent.
- 2+ years of relevant experience and progressive responsibility in finance and accounting, office administration, project operations at the junior level of an organization
- Minimum 2 years’ experience supporting USAID-funded projects
- Experience in financial management of USAID projects, including a demonstrated understanding of applicable finance-related USG contracting regulations
- Accuracy in working with large amounts of data
- Ability to respond effectively to the time sensitive inquiries
- Experience with enterprise accounting software, and Microsoft office suite
- Demonstrated knowledge of internal controls and audit processes (e.g. procurement, local subcontracts, grants, etc.)
- An energetic and creative individual with high ethical standards and appropriate professional image
- An extremely well organized and self-directed individual with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment, and strong operational focus
- Excellent English-language writing skills and demonstrated experience meeting donor reporting requirements
- Proficiency in Office 365 including Word, Excel, Teams, PowerPoint and SharePoint
- Willingness and ability to travel to field sites as necessary
- Unrestricted authorization to work in Liberia