Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information,
World Bank Group Finance and Accounting (WFA) is one of the vice presidencies in the WBG and is responsible for financial reporting and internal control framework for the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), the International Development Association (IDA), the International Finance Corporation (IFC) and the Trust Fund/Partnership portfolio of those entities.
WFA comprises the following functions: Financial Instruments Accounting and Valuation; Loan and Trust Fund Operations; Accounting Business Services; Financial Reporting; Accounting Policy; Documentation and Communication; Advisory Services; and Operational Risks and Controls. These units collectively include approximately 450 staff, of which 100 are in Washington, D.C. with the remainder in regional offices including the largest in Chennai, India.
The WFA Country Office Accounting (WFACN) performs activities related to WBG country offices: review of imprest accounts of country offices, accounting and support of goods and services refund claims (GST), review of Monthly submission reports, country office training, lease accounting and other related tasks. Additionally, the team will be responsible for the management of vendor master records for WBG.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the following
Work program Delivery
Lead and manage the work program of the team to deliver high quality and timely output, including but not limited to:
- Support for Imprest Accounting for the Chennai officeVendor master records managementAccounting for Goods and Services tax for IndiaSupport refund claim process for Goods and Services Tax for IndiaAccounting for country office leasesPreparation and review of monthly Imprest trial balanceReview of country offices’ Monthly Submission ReportsCountry office replenishments – review and approvalManual accounting of UNDP transactionsCountry office accountants’ training
- Actively pursue and deliver on projects meant to harness efficiencies in the process through simplification, optimization or automation as appropriate.
- Ensure an adequate control environment for the team’s activities and take appropriate steps to identify and mitigate emerging or existing risks.
- Continuously review and identify opportunities for providing value-added services to country offices.
- Lead/ participate as required in projects of importance to the Division/ Department/ VPU, including requirements gathering, design, UAT etc.
- Supervise WFACN team members, including performance management; providing timely feedback, coaching, and mentoring support to the team to achieve desired outcomesIdentify training needs, soft skills and technical, and work with WFA training coordinators and manager to help skill the team adequately, keeping in mind the future needs of the Division
- C. Stakeholder management
- Closely coordinate with other corporate expense teams in HQ and Chennai: WFAPT, WFATA, WFAAC, WFAGP, WFAPA, WFAANInteract closely with colleagues and counterparts in Chennai, HQ and country offices to actively understand emerging issues with a view to collaborating across teams to meet the department’s/ VPU’s goalsActively engage with clients at various levels, to proactively understand client needs and provide appropriate solutions
- CA / CPA with a minimum of five years of relevant experience.Good understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and internal controls in accounting processes.Experience leading team of accountants or demonstrated potential to do so.Knowledge of WBG administrative expenses and/or WBG country offices is a plus.Demonstrated strong judgment / analytical skills and interpersonal skills to interact effectively with colleagues and various levels of client staff.Ability to articulate views, knowledgably, clearly and confidently.
- Knowledge of accounting systems (SAP preferred) and / or experience with automated accounting systems of similar levels of complexity.Strong Problem Solving and Analytical Skills.Successful track record of achieving high quality results and delivering client value-added services to meet team objectives.Demonstrated ability to work across boundaries and managing stakeholder expectations.Outstanding written and verbal communications skills and ability to convey complex issues concisely to senior management, colleagues and clients.Strong listening skills and ability to gain understanding of partner needs and challenges.High level of integrity, tact and discretion.
- Deliver results for clients – Proactively addresses clients’ stated and unstated needs. Adds value by constantly looking for a better way to get more impactful results; sets challenging stretch goals for oneself. Immerses oneself in client experiences and perspective by asking probing questions to understand unmet needs. Identifies and proposes solutions to mitigate and manage risks
- Collaborate within teams and across boundaries – Collaborates across boundaries, gives own perspective and willingly receives diverse perspectives. Appropriately involves others in decision making and communicates with key stakeholders. Approaches conflicts as common
- problems to be solved. Actively seeks and considers diverse ideas and approaches. Integrates WBG perspective into work.
- Lead and innovate – Develops innovative solutions. Contributes new insights to understand situations and develops solutions to resolve complex problems. Adapts as circumstances require and manages impact of own behavior on others in context of WBG's values and mission. Identifies and pursues innovative approaches to resolve issues.
- Create, Apply and Share Knowledge – Applies knowledge across WBG to strengthen WBG client solutions. Leverages department's expertise and body of knowledge across WBG to strengthen internal and/or external client solutions. Seeks to learn from more experienced staff to deepen or strengthen their professional knowledge and helps others to learn. Builds personal and professional networks inside and outside the department unit.
- Make Smart Decisions – Interprets a wide range of information and pushes to move forward. Seeks diversity of information and inputs, researches possible solutions, and generates recommended options. Identifies and understands risks and proposes recommendations. Based on risk analysis makes decisions in a timely manner within own area of responsibility, considering the interests and concerns of stakeholders.
- Client Understanding and Advising - Looks at issues from the client’s perspective and advocates for clients within own area as well as urges others to focus on meeting client needs. Works with others across the VPU to define client needs and develop the best approach to meet client needs (e.g., finds appropriate solutions and negotiates internally for needed resources and support).
- Broad Business Thinking – Maintains an in-depth understanding of the long-term implications of decisions both for related areas within the VPU and the client’s business. Involves the key players in identifying operating needs, issues and immediate solutions. Ensures that decisions are supported by relevant stakeholders and creates the business case for investment in process and enhancements. Sets clear explanations for the integration and alignment of services/solutions with business functions, focusing on the strategic value provided for area of responsibility within the client’s business.
- Project Management – Prepares and manages multi-resource plans which affect the direction of the work unit. Analyzes complex, evolving circumstances and takes corrective action to avoid resource constraints and meet deadlines. Prepares to implement plans by ensuring that mandate is clear and manageable with present resources. Foresees problems and opportunities not obvious to others and acts to address them in a timely fashion. Creates new solutions