Who We Are
Bridge believes every child has the right to high quality education and works in partnership with governments, communities, parents and teachers to deliver education to over 100,000 children in underserved communities across Africa and Asia.
Bridge leverages in-depth teacher training and support, advanced lesson plans and wireless technology to provide pupils with a meaningful and life-changing education.
Globally, there is an education crisis. Around 263 million children and young people are not in school and the number of primary school aged children not in school is increasing. Bridge is committed to helping tackle this through a data driven, evidence based approach that delivers strong schools and a great education for all.
Bridge has been named as “One of the top 10 Employers” in Africa according to an annual survey.
The Bridge Approach
Education is in crisis in many countries around the world. It is estimated that 264 million children and young people are out of school, and 330 million children are in school but not learning. In addition, an extra 69 million teachers are needed to achieve the 2030 UN education goals.
Many education systems are plagued with inadequate materials and poor management systems, all leading to chronic teacher absenteeism and a lack of learning. Education reform is challenging but it is urgently required if we are to prevent another generation of children missing out. So, we work in partnership with governments, NGOs and non-state actors to address the huge education imbalance between what is available and what is needed right now — we work to bridge the gap.
We believe parents have the right to choose a school for their children and we enable families to enjoy seeing their children learn, improve and flourish at Bridge schools. We locate our schools in some of the most disadvantaged communities in the world. Families in our communities can be earning just $1.90 per person a day; a level the World Bank notes is at extreme poverty. By putting learning at the centre of all we do, Bridge has become an extremely popular choice for underserved families and low-income communities.
With plans to enrol ten million students ten years from now, Bridge offers a tremendous opportunity to grow with one of the world’s most exciting and ambitious social enterprises, with leadership roles available across a number of competencies and geographies.
About the Role
This is a key role within the finance department whose vision is always to be a valued business supporter providing high quality and timely financial services. Reporting to the Accounts Payable Supervisor, the job holder will be part of young but professional finance team to achieve excellence within a few months
Working closely with finance and business team leaders, the main purpose of this role is to perform day to day processing of accounts payables transactions in the Navision system, undertaking timely reconciliations of payables and enhancing internal controls pertaining to purchase ledger and accounts payables process of the company, identify, review and record financial transactions into Microsoft Dynamics (Navision), measure, classify and verify the financial information and then summarize, interpret and communicate the Accounts Payable information to the Senior Accountant for review
What You Will Do
- Assist to implement procedure in the business to ensure all supplier invoices received are delivered to Accounts Payable upon receipt in the company and maintain an updated register to track movement of all the invoices received in the business until paid and properly filed.
- Receive and verify invoices and requisitions for goods and services
- Prepare batches of invoices for data entry into the system.
- Assist to streamline the purchase to pay process including scheduling of payments as per payment cycles.
- Prepare all supplier reconciliations and ensuring that reconciling items are resolved within one month.
- Prepare and maintain a register of all payments made outside the purchasing system.
- Review, check all invoices and ensure receipt of goods/services is acknowledged by the user departments before invoice processing.
- Maintain a log of all disputed invoices and report monthly on action taken to resolve them
- Assist to spearhead automation of payment processes.
- Assist manage supplier payments by among other things ensuring payments are done as per agreed terms, supplier relations are maintained and improved.
- Participate in the monthly physical stock take as instructed by the Management.
- Assist to prepare monthly accrual and prepayment schedules for the purpose of monthly reporting in line with IFRS.
- Prepare Accounts Payables schedules and other balance sheet schedules for internal, interim and annual audits and timely resolution of any issues raised from internal review or audit.
- Maintain filing system for all Accounts Payables transactions and ensure there is ease to retrieve them.
What You Should Have
- A degree in Finance or Economics
- Intermediate to advanced levels of CPA with excellent academic record with a minimum of 1- 2 years’ work experience in a busy environment.
- Understanding and use of a well-run purchasing and Accounts payable process.
- Understanding of the tax requirements for payments made;
- Excellent spread sheet skills and proficiency with Microsoft Dynamics (Navision) version 2009
- Ability to relate well with both internal and external customers and work in teams;
- Have a positive approach to ensuring complete customer satisfaction;
- Highly innovative, with excellent analytical skills and ability to meet strict deadlines
- Experience of working with medium to high exposure of business analysis, communication and support for large and fast growing profit oriented organizations.
- High integrity, IT literacy and excellent attention to details.
- Ability to plan and manage own workload to harmonize work flows and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to use initiative and creative thinking to anticipate issues and develop common sense and practical solutions.
- Proactive and self-motivated with excellent communication skills
- Confident and flexible team player with great ability to work closely with non-finance team members within a multicultural environment.
- A “finisher” with the genuine drive and commitment to produce the highest quality work and to deliver technical expertise at all times.
- Passionate about children and education in Africa
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a startup or social enterprise
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any enterprise from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often challenging, low-resource communities and runs on fees averaging just $6 a month per pupil. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand. Every dollar you spend is a dollar our customers, who live on less than $2 a day, will have to pay for
- A customer advocate – Our customers – these families living on less than $2 a day per person – never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). Every decision you make considers their customer benefit, experience, and value.
- A life-long learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today