UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child and has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children's rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
Supplies are essential to fulfil children’s rights. UNICEF procures and supplies over 5,000 products to address the needs of children. Supporting child survival and development programmes around the world, UNICEF-procured supplies are critical in providing for children’s health, education and protecting them from abuse, exploitation and neglect.
For Every Child…Commitment
UNICEF Supply Division in Copenhagen is seeking an Accounts Assistant who will assist in accounting and funds management tasks. The unit’s work is cross-cutting in nature, providing support to UNICEF’s Supply Division, Regional and Country Offices, and collaborating with other Divisions and external supply partners. The position with this Job Profile ensures seamless processing of financial transactions in line with UNICEF Financial Regulations and Rules and related procedures.
How Can You Make a Difference?
Under the supervision of the Accounting Manager, the Account Assistant will be responsible for project accounting for area of responsibility, contributing to effective financial funds management and timely and accurate financial reporting of Procurement Services transactions, supporting the achievement of partner satisfaction, protecting the interests of UNICEF through effective and efficient use of systems, procedures and processes, and delivering focused customer-service to internal and external stakeholders.
- Under the supervision of the Accounting Manager, performs accounting functions in the Procurement Services Accounting Unit (PSAU), 2).
- Processes, reviews and analyzes SAP transactions, payments and account balances, identifies and initiates required adjustments. Performs financial accounting and analysis for the Unit using a MS Excel, MS Word, and MS PowerPoint.
- Performs financial accounting, analysis and reporting for Procurement Services (PS) project accounts for area of responsibility. Creates, reviews and maintains master data in VISION (SAP) and monitors project accounts for compliance with financial limitations and MOU requirements.
- Processes, reviews and analyses the accounting entries made to the project accounts in VISION (SAP), as well as account balances for propriety and accuracy and identifies and initiates required adjustments.
- Monitors transactions and schedules the issuance of Statement of Accounts and invoices, as well as additional reports to comply with third-party reporting requirements of non-standard agreements within area of responsibility, taking into consideration project priorities.
- Reviews outstanding balances on completed transactions and follows-up to ensure timely financial closure of project accounts.
- Processes invoices and other transactions in accordance with UNICEF’s Financial Rules and Regulations, and third party requirements (AICU).
- Monitors and ensures that systems and reports comply with UNICEF’s Financial Regulations and Rules, UNICEF Financial Policies, and third-party requirements.
- Provides focused customer service and support to internal and external stakeholders.
- Performs other ad hoc tasks in related areas as required and provide back up support to colleagues within the unit.
To qualify as a Champion for every Child…
Candidates should be service-oriented with good interpersonal and communication skills to ensure effective working relationships with partners, customers and colleagues.
- Secondary school, including courses in accounting from a recognized commercial school
- A minimum of five (5) years of broad and successful experience in accounting, or directly relevant experience such as procurement or project/ trust fund accounting, preferably in an international / governmental (non-profit) organization.
- Good knowledge of computerized accounting application systems and MS Office package, particularly Excel.
- Working knowledge of accounting principles and standards, IPSAS.
- Fluency in English.
- Valid work permit and residency in Denmark at the time of submitting the application. Note that the selected candidate is responsible for obtaining any required extension of their residence permit as such an extension cannot be dependent on an employment with UNICEF.
- University level courses in Business Administration, Public Administration, Service Management, Business Communication or other related disciplines.
- Working knowledge of month-end reporting processes.
- Experience in the areas of project and/or trust fund accounting.
- Experience in SAP logistics modules (SD/MM).
- Experience in SAP financial modules (FI/FM/CO/PS) or other ERP systems.