United Nations Office for Project Services, Yaounde, Cameroon
Closing Date for Applications:
In this context, UNOPS is looking for a qualified candidate for the post of environmental and social issues analyst who will be based in Yaoundé for the duration of the contract but will carry out regular assessment missions to the 3 sites of Yaoundé, Batouri and Ngaoundéré. to support the project in monitoring the implementation of environmental and social aspects as described in the mission overview.
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the analyst of environmental and social issues will be responsible for the management of environmental and social aspects (biophysical environment, health and safety of people, risks related to classified installations for environmental protection, involuntary resettlement, land acquisition) projects. To this end, it will ensure the integration and management of environmental aspects in the planning and execution of projects. He will have the following attributions and responsibilities:
- Propose to the Project Manager the mechanisms to ensure that environmental and social measures are taken into account in the implementation of sub-projects, in accordance with the national laws in force in the country in terms of environmental management and of social development, to the environmental and social safeguard policies of the World Bank triggered by the project, as well as to the international laws ratified by the country in this area;
- Examine, with a view to their validation, the documents submitted by the providers and the ESMP implementation partners;
- Support in the preparation of public consultations and the preparation of meeting reports;
- Prepare project sheets for the mitigation of the negative impacts of the works and accompanying measures and submit them to the actors implementing the works on site for application;
- Participate in the analysis and validation of studies and documents on environmental and social protection within the framework of sub-projects;
- Participate in the drafting of tender documents;
- Regularly prepare monitoring and evaluation reports for the environmental and social component by following the reporting schedule for the review of the Project Manager;
- Monitor compliance with UNOPS and WB administrative requirements and procedures by undertaking periodic audits of project files related to environmental safeguards, ensuring that required documents are available and updated;
- Ensure that the database (Kits, educational materials, media, visibility) on environmental and social activities is updated, consolidated and available;
- Manage the documentation and archiving of files relating to the implementation of the environmental and social component;
- Monitoring of the progress of activities and the impact of environmental measures on the living conditions of the target populations.
- Bachelor's degree or (Bac + 5) in environmental sciences, nature conservation, or in social / community development sciences or similar disciplines is required;
- A Technician's diploma in environmental sciences, nature conservation, or social / community development sciences with two years of additional experience will be considered instead of a Bachelor's degree (Bac +5).
- At least 2 years of professional work experience in conducting environmental and social assessment and management studies of various projects / programs, including community projects;
- At least 2 years of work experience in the field of participatory approach or social mobilization;
- Experience in infrastructure or urban development would be an advantage would be an asset;
- Previous experience working with the United Nations or an international organization on environmental management and social development issues would be an asset;
- Experience in the control and monitoring of environmental management service contracts is an asset;
- Good knowledge of facilitation and communication techniques is an asset;
- Familiar with national and international legal texts applicable to environmental protection is an asset;
- Familiar with the Operational Policies of the World Bank in terms of environmental and social safeguard, as well as the policies in terms of environmental and social safeguard of other technical and financial partners is an asset.
- Excellent command of spoken and written French is compulsory;
- At least basic knowledge of English is required;
- Knowledge of a local language is an asset.