Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Closing Date for Applications:
FAO Bangladesh assists the Government to formulate policies, programmes and projects to address the root causes of hunger and malnutrition, develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and utilize environmental and natural resources in a sustainable way. It contributes to the development of FAO’s field programme projects in the country and implements them in the sectors of food security, agriculture and rural development.
Under the overall and direct supervision and guidance of the FAO Representative in Bangladesh, the Administrative Assistant coordinates overall office support activities of the FAO Representation. He/She works with wide latitude for independent action and often handles complex and sensitive matters. The incumbent performs the following duties:
Tasks and responsibilities
- Provide and coordinate communication, information, documentation, administrative and protocol support processes for the FAOR.
- Control the workflow of the FOAR’s office, prioritize, distribute and monitor work of subordinate staff for which the incumbent is the immediate supervisor.
- Receive, screen, file, distribute, draft, format, and monitor incoming and outgoing correspondence and documentation from and to the FAO Representative; select and abstract pertinent material for supervisor’s review; identify complex or sensitive material for special treatment; review outgoing correspondence and documentation for correct format, grammar, spelling and conformance with FAO and country policies and procedures; maintain a follow-up system.
- Screen and place calls; respond to telephone, e-mail and enquiries to the FAO Representative; refer non-recurring matters and difficult issues to respective units.
- Manage the calendars of the FAO Representatives; schedule appointments; brief the FAO Representative on matters before meetings and missions.
- Maintain control of records and files; follow-up on deadlines to supervisors and officers for their action; update the office’s contacts and meetings lists including spreadsheets, files, databases; provide Registry with master files containing key documents.
- Maintain records on administrative and office support policies, procedures and practices both in hard copies and electronically.
- Carry out administrative functions to support the activities of the FAO Representative including organizing travel and schedule arrangements.
- Coordinate meetings and events held in the country office by the FAO Representative, including the provision of meeting facilities, equipment, catering, making travel arrangements, coordinating logistics, preparing correspondence and assembling documents for participants.
- Take minutes at internal and/or official meetings, track actions and circulate related correspondence among relevant parties.
- Perform other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced University Degree in Business Administration/ Management / Agriculture & related fields.
- Five years of administrative and general operations management. Work experience and good knowledge of the UN work Diplomatic offices environment.
- Working knowledge (level C) of the FAO official language and proficiency in English.
- National of Bangladesh
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Systematic, well-structured and efficient approach to work assignments. Analytical ability, accuracy and consistency. Exercise diligence and care in dealing with records and expenditures. Ability to organize work systematically, set priorities and meet deadlines. Ability to structure and convey information in an appropriate format, ensuring accuracy and consistency. Recognize sensitive and confidential material and handle it with a high level of discretion. Ability to communicate appropriately with high level officials and to professionally handle matters of protocol.
- The incumbent must possess a cooperative spirit, flexibility and openness to work in an international environment. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural background. Tact, discretion, courtesy and a high level of trustworthiness are essential personal attributes. Ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to effectively use standard office software, such as MS Office (Windows, Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Project, Exchange and Internet) etc. Ability to use administrative software and/ or other information systems and databases to insert data, make enquiries, retrieve/define ad hoc reports and analyses and edit results in appropriate format.
- Good organizational capability and teamwork skills are required.
- Good communication and writing skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and good decision-making skills are essential;