United Nations Office of Internal Oversight Services, New York, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Central Administrative Unit of the Internal Audit Division of the Office of Internal Oversight Services (IAD/OIOS) in New York. The Administrative Assistant will report to the Administrative Officer.
The Internal Audit Division provides assurance services to all United Nations activities under the Secretary-General's authority. IAD's clients are comprised of the United Nations Secretariat, five regional commissions, select funds and programmes, and other United Nations entities.
The Administrative Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
Human Resources Management
- Initiate, process, monitor, review, and follow up on actions related to the administration of the Unit’s human resource activities, e.g., recruitment, placement, relocation, promotion, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of regulations and procedures
- Enter, maintain, and certify administrative data and records for time and attendance, performance appraisal, etc. in electronic information systems
- Review entitlements-related claims and reports
- Provide advice and guidance to staff with respect to administrative procedures, processes, and practices, liaising with Central Administrative Services, as necessary
- Maintain and review organizational staffing tables; print and review Umoja reports
Budget and Finance
- Monitor status of expenditures and allotments through Umoja, record variations, update budget tables
- Consolidate data received and provide support to higher-level staff, with respect to budget reviews of relevant intergovernmental and expert bodies
- Review status of relevant expenditures and compare with approved budget
- Review requisitions for goods and services to ensure (a) availability of funds, and (b) that correct objects of expenditure have been charged
- Assist in the preparation of budget performance submissions
- Prepare statistical tables and standard financial reports
- Prepare, process, and follow up on administrative arrangements and forms related to the official travel of staff
- Draft routine correspondence
- Maintain files of rules, regulations, administrative instructions, and other related documentation
- Maintain up-to-date work Unit files (both paper and electronic)
- Coordinate extensively with service units and liaise frequently with internal team members, both at Headquarters and in the field
- Perform other related administrative duties, as required, e.g., operational travel programme; monitoring accounts and payment to vendors and individual contractors for services; physical space planning; identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems; organizing and coordinating administrative arrangements for seminars, conferences, and translations
- Assist with day-to-day administration of contracts between the United Nations and external contractors for outsourced services
- Audit the contractors' invoices against the goods and services provided by the contractor and approved by the United Nations
- Process the payment of contractors' invoices and monitor payments
- Prepare and process all United Nations forms and permissions for contractual and work Unit, Section or Service staff, including: United Nations grounds passes, property passes, United Nations parking permits, swipe-card access, and door keys
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- A minimum of five years of experience in accounting, finance, administrative services, or a related area is required.
- Experience with automated human resources systems and Enterprise Resource Planning systems is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official language of the United Nations is desirable.