United Nations Secretariat, New York, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Coverage and Media Services Branch (CMSB) of the News and Media Division (NMD), Department of Global Communications (DGC), under the direct supervision of the Deputy-Director. CMSB covers intergovernmental meetings and issues summary press releases; provides TV live transmission, webcasting and photographic coverage; disseminates content through the Audiovisual Library; maintains the audiovisual archives; accredits journalists covering the UN; provides supports to media coverage; and monitors media reporting of the UN and other key developments around the world.
Human Resources Management:
- Initiate, process, monitor, review and follow-up on actions related to the administration of the Division's human resource activities, e.g., recruitment, placement, relocation, promotion, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of regulations and procedures.
- Assist in the timely submission and processing of recruitment requests through INSPIRA;
- Maintain and review organizational charts, staffing table and internal database for monitoring personnel movements and prepare monthly report on status of vacancies;
- Respond to inquiries and provide information and advice to staff with respect to administrative procedures, processes and practices under the Staff Rules, liaise with the Executive Office as necessary;
Budget and Finance:
- Assist the Senior Administrative Assistant with the review of requisition of goods and services to ensure propriety of request prior to endorsement to Executive Office for approval;
- Assist the Senior Administrative Officer with soliciting and coordinating inputs from Sections/Units in the preparation of the Division's proposed programmes budget and performance submissions;
- Prepare, process and follow-up on administrative arrangements and forms related to the official travel of staff;
- Maintain up-to-date work unit files (both paper and electronic);
- Perform general administrative tasks, as required (e.g. leave and attendance recording, arrangements for meetings and other events, reservations, etc.), to include preparing and/or processing administrative requests/documents ( e.g. requisitions, purchase orders, travel requests, contracts, expenditure authorizations, visa applications, organizing and coordinating administrative arrangements for conferences/seminars, physical space planning, identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, etc.);
- Assist with day-to-day administration of contracts between the UN and external contractors for outsourced services;
- Process the payment of contractors' invoices and monitor payments;
- Prepare and process all UN forms and permissions for contractual and work Unit, Section or Service UN staff, including: UN grounds passes, property passes, UN parking permits, swipe-card access and door keys.
Undertakes other tasks as may be assigned.
- Ability to perform a broad range of administrative functions, e.g., budget/work programme, human resources, database management, etc. Extensive knowledge of various United Nations administrative, financial and human resources rules and regulations in work situations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
Planning and organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently to meet strict deadlines.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of five years of experience in the field of general administration, human resources management, budget/finance or related area is required.
- Experience with various computer software and in an Enterprise Resource Planning system is required.
- Experience with Microsoft Teams and SharePoint is required.
- Experience in a diverse, multi-cultural environment is desirable.
- Knowledge in inventory and asset management is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.