United Nations Department of Operational Support, New York, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
Org. Setting and Reporting
- This position is located in the Transportation Operations Unit of the Travel and Transportation Section. The incumbent will report directly to the Senior Administrative Assistant under overall supervision of the Chief of Section.
- The Department of Operational Support (DOS) provides operational support to UN Secretariat entities globally, including advisory, operational and transactional support services and, where needed, exercises delegated authority on behalf of clients. DOS supports the entire UN Secretariat, consisting of almost 100 entities located around the globe.
- The Facilities and Commercial Activities Service (FCAS) operates the Headquarters complex, striving to provide effective and efficient planning, management, maintenance and operation for all existing physical facilities and assets at the UN Headquarters, New York. FCAS also supports office and conference facilities, property management, travel and transportation services, archives and records management, mail and pouch operations, catering, giftshop and the United Nations Postal Administration.
- The Travel and Transportation Section provides travel and transportation services at UN Headquarters (travel, shipments management, UN travel documents (e-UNLP & UN Certificates), visas and host country services, local transportation, materials management and UNHQ garage operations.
Within delegated authority, the Administrative Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT
- Initiates, monitors, reviews and follows-up on actions related to the administration of the unit's human resource activities, e.g., recruitment, promotion, performance appraisal, job classification reviews,
- training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of regulations and procedures.
- Enters, maintains and monitors Time Management records in Umoja, oversees Team Calendar, performance appraisal, etc. in electronic information systems.
- Provides advice and guidance to staff with respect to administrative procedures, processes and practices, liaising with central administrative services as necessary.
- Maintains and reviews organizational staffing tables; prints and reviews Umoja reports.
BUDGET AND FINANCE
- Monitors status of expenditures and allotments through Umoja, records variations, updates budget tables.
- Consolidates data received from Umoja Business Intelligence platform and other sources, and provides support to higher-level staff with respect to budget reviews of relevant intergovernmental and expert bodies.
- Reviews status of relevant expenditures and compares with approved budget.
- Creates and reviews shopping carts for goods and services to ensure (a) correct coding block has been charged and (b) availability of funds.
- Assists in the preparation of budget proposals and performance submissions.
- Prepares statistical tables and standard financial reports.
- Prepares, and follows-up on administrative arrangements and forms related to transportation and logistics related matters.
- Drafts routine correspondence.
- Maintains files of rules, regulations, administrative instructions and other related documentation.
- Maintains up-to-date electronic work unit files.
- Coordinates extensively with service units and liaises frequently with internal team members at Headquarters.
- Maintains liaison with Executive/Administrative Offices and with senior officials both within and outside the UN regarding on-going activities and administrative matters, monitors processes and schedules related to the Unit's outputs, tasks, etc.
- Monitors the monthly report provided by the Parking Violations Bureau. Liaises with officials in the Organization and Parking Violations Bureau to ensure payments are made in a timely manner.
- Reviews UNHQ vehicle inventory database prior to submission of data to the UN Insurance Section and/or the Office of Foreign Missions.
- Performs other related administrative duties, as required, e.g., operational travel programme; participating in procurement related activities such as drafting Statements of Work, serving as a member of Technical Evaluation teams; monitoring accounts and payment to vendors and individual contractors for goods and services; maintenance of equipment, organizing and coordinating administrative arrangements for seminars, conferences.
- Assists with day-to-day administration of contracts between the UN and external contractors for outsourced services.
- Audits the contractors' invoices against the goods and services provided by the contractor and approved by the UN.
- Processes the payment of contractors' invoices and monitors payments.
- Prepares all UN forms and permissions for contractual workers including: UN grounds passes, swipe-card access and door keys.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Ability to perform a broad range of administrative functions, e.g., budget/work programme, human resources, database management, etc. Ability to apply knowledge of various United Nations administrative, financial and human resources rules and regulations in work situations. Demonstrated drafting skills. Ability to work well with figures, undertake basic research and gather information from standard sources. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- A minimum of five years of progressive experience in administrative services, finance, accounting, audit, human resources or related area is required.
- Experience in Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, SharePoint and PowerPoint) is required.
- Experience in budget, procurement and contract management is desirable.
- Experience working with Enterprise Resources Planning (ERP) is desirable.
- Experience working in international organizations is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.