United Nations Environment Programme, Beirut, Lebanon
Closing Date for Applications:
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. The West Asia Office helps to implement the UN Environment's Regional programs in West Asia by initiating, coordinating and catalyzing regional and sub-regional cooperation and action in response to environmental, challenges, opportunities and emergencies. This position is located in the Office of the Director and Regional Representative of West Asia Office in Beirut, Lebanon. Within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
Human Resources Management
- Initiates, reviews, processes and follows-up on actions related to the administration of the unit’s human resource activities, e.g., recruitment of staff and consultants, placement, promotion, relocation, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation of staff members, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
- Responds to enquiries and provides information and advice to staff regarding their entitlements, administrative procedures, processes and practices, conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations.
- Oversees the maintenance of vacancy announcement files and keeps track of status of vacancy announcements. Reviews and processes personnel actions through Umoja and Inspira.
- Monitors staffing table and prepare relevant statistical data/charts.
Budget and Finance
- Assists in the preparation and review of financial and human resource proposals/requirements. Consolidates budget/work programme with respect to Headquarters’ budget, trust funds, grants and procurement.
- Monitors expenditures and compares with approved budget; prepares adjustments as necessary.
- Assists managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
- Assists in preparation of budget performance submissions and finalization of budget performance reports, analysing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
- Drafts routine correspondence to respond to enquiries in respect to relevant administrative, financial audit, personnel matters.
- Keeps conversant on matters of interest to UNEP in Lebanon and the region and draw such matters to the attention of the Director
- Maintain the calendar of the Regional Director, record, monitor and follow up on tasks assigned to staff by the Director
- Organise the meetings of the Director with the government and UN officials following the established protocols, prepare minutes of meetings and follow up on government relations matters
- Coordinates extensively with service units and liaises frequently with internal team members both at Headquarters and in the field.
- Performs other related administrative duties, as required (e.g., operational travel programme; monitoring accounts and payment to vendors and individual contractors for
- services; physical space planning; identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems; organizing and coordinating seminars, conferences and translations).
- May be responsible for guiding, training, and supervising the work of more junior General Service staff.
- Assists with day-to-day administration of contracts between the UN and external contractors for outsourced services.
- Audits the contractors' invoices against the goods and services provided by the contractor and approved by the UN.
- Processes the payment of contractors' invoices and monitor payments.
- Prepares and processes all UN forms and permissions for contractual and work Unit, Section or Service UN staff, including: UN grounds passes, property passes, UN parking permits, swipe-card access and door keys.
- Completion of high school diploma or equivalent is required. Supplementary training in business administration, finance, accounting and human resources or related areas is desirable. Good computer skills in Windows, and other computer applications such MS outlook, SAP, word processing, and Excel are desirable.
- Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Successful passing of the Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) in English at the United Nations Headquarters (UNHQ), Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA), United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG), United Nations Office at Vienna (UNOV), International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) or International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) may be accepted in lieu of the GGST.
- The GGST is administered to applicants when required before the administration of a written assessment and/or interview.
- Seven years of experience in executive support to senior management, administrative services, finance, accounting, audit, human resources or related area.
- Work experience in Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) tools is desirable.
- Experience in working with other UN system entities or any other international organization is desirable
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in English and Arabic is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.