The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does — in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life — in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions — her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens — addressing inequity — not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
Purpose for the job
The Administrative Assistant is responsible for executing a broad variety of standardized administrative tasks for the respective section(s) requiring thorough knowledge of UNICEF administrative procedures, processes and policies. In this capacity, the need to project the image of a credible and reliable service provider is imperative to quality of process delivery, and the impact of work directly reflects on the overall reputation of the team in terms of responsiveness to client needs and quality of process execution.
Key functions, accountabilities and related duties/tasks
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
- Invoice Processing
- Events and Conferences
- Property management, office equipment, vehicles.
- General Administrative Duties
- Provides travel assistance to staff in section for travel arrangements and entitlements based on the organization’s rules and policies. Liaises with relevant Programme Assistants to ensure that the organization obtains the best service and price for all travel.
- Briefs/de-briefs staff members on issues relating to related administrative matters such as visas, security clearance, documentation procedures.
- Extracts, inputs, maintains and verifies correctness of travel records in the organization’s travel system to ensure accurate transactions related to travel costs and staff travel
- Assist in the preparation of budgets on travel costs and maintain travel budgetary control records
- Responsible for collecting invoices and filing documents for approval and, thereafter or processing in vision.
- Upload electronic files and verify results to destination system.
- Respond to client transaction status and other inquiries.
Internal Events and Conferences
- Supports capacity development activities and conferences by making the logistical arrangements, through engaging with facilitators, caterers and hosts.
- Arranges times through liaising with participants over availability.
- Liaises with budget focal points and section over costs and needs.
- Prepares background materials for participants and uploads cleared materials in the intranet.
- Prepares and maintains agendas on meeting and events related to the work group commitments.
Property management, office equipment, vehicles
- Supports management of administrative supplies, office equipment and vehicles, updating inventory of items.
- Appropriate interpretation and application of administrative policy and procedures are timely implemented to support operations at the country level.
- Guarantee the timely and effectively delivery of administrative support services, and security arrangements in line with MOSS for enhanced safety and security of staff and property.
- Ensures the acquisition of all administrative expendable and non-expendable property. Controls inventory, its utilization and disposal.
- Monitors and supervises adequate and appropriate use of supplies. Ensures that services and maintenance of premises are in accordance with organizational standards.
General Administrative Duties
- Maintain hard and electronic files and update data base systems ensuring timely and appropriate recording, safekeeping and disposal of confidential information
- Monitor the utilization of all financial input requisitions and report to the supervisor for necessary adjustments (over-utilization, shortage of funds, etc.) Familiarize with programme monitoring related instructions/tools and report to supervisor for significant changes.
Performs other duties, as required.
Competencies and level of proficiency required
- Diversity and inclusion
- Communication (I)
- Working with people (II)
- Drive for results (I)
- Analyzing (I)
- Learning & Researching (I)
- Planning and organizing (I)
- Following Instructions and Procedures (I)
Education: Completion of secondary education, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to the work of the organization.
Experience: A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible administrative or clerical work experience is required.
Language Requirements: Fluency in Spanish and English