If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
Under the general supervision the Administrative Officer in Gaziantep Office the Administrative Assistant performs a variety of administrative tasks of moderate scope and difficulty including drafting of routine correspondence, arranging travel and visa requirements for staff and visiting delegations, planning and scheduling meetings and teleconferences, conducts limited information gathering, monitoring, and is responsible for establishing and putting in place office systems, in support of the Syrian crisis and in line with the Core Commitments for Children in Humanitarian Action.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
- Organizes data and information, prepares and maintains records, documents and control plans for the monitoring of emergency response project/programme implementation.
- Drafts routine correspondence, memoranda and reports via oral instructions, previous correspondence or other available information sources, in accordance with standard office procedures.
- Collects information mainly from records and reports and prepares periodic and ad hoc reports on activities.
- Selects information and records in specified format for use by others in preparing reports, correspondence, technical papers, projects or programme plans and general reference documents.
- Classifies and codes material relating to a number of subject matter areas, maintains general office files and provides guidance in performing this duty.
- Assists staff members and their dependents by processing requests for visas, identity cards, drivers' licenses and other necessary personnel-related documents, in accordance with the requirements of the United Nations and the country of the duty station. Maintains facts on living conditions and special entitlements.
- Maintain an offıce calendar for incoming visits to Gaziantep and handle all logistical arrangements for visits as well as meetings, teleconferences and conferences.
- Contributes to the preparation of reports, project documents and submissions to governments by providing information, preparing tables and drafting relatively routine sections. Prepares background information for use in discussions with governments and other organizations. Participates in the briefing and debriefing of project personnel.
- Provides historical reference to all operational aspects by developing and utilizing filing and retrieval systems; recording meeting discussions. Secures information by completing data base backups.
- Makes arrangements for shipment and receipt of office and project supplies and equipment and household effects, including customs clearance.
- Maintains office supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; evaluating new office products; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques
- Assist in the smooth operation of the day-to-day transport, through coordinating and tracking drıvers movements, compiling and maintaining documentation on journey details and vehicles booking
- Maintains financial records for office accounts and petty cash for which responsibility is assigned; Prepares periodic accounting records by recording disbursements (ledgers, cashbooks, vouchers, etc.). Monitors and maintains continuing status of budget allotments against obligations.
- Scrutinizes plans of operations, exchanges of letters and takes appropriate follow-up action.
- Assists in the administrative process of government requests for assistance.
- Performs other specialized duties, in the accounting and finance functions, HR and Admin as required as required.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Completion of secondary education. University degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Science, International Finance or other relevant disciplines will be an asset.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible administrative or clerical work experience is required.
- Work experience in emergency response activities will be considered as an asset;
- Experience working in an international organization is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English and Turkish. Knowledge of Arabic is desirable.
Competencies of Successful Candidate:
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Working with People
- Drive for Results
- Learning & Researching
- Planning and organizing
- Following Instructions and Procedures
To view our competency framework, please click here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities.