UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The Strategy, Planning, Resources and Effectiveness Division is under the direct supervision of the Assistant Secretary General (ASG)/Deputy Executive Director Resource Management, Sustainability and Partnerships drives the areas of corporate strategy, planning, resource allocation and management, enterprise risk management and organizational performance management. Together, these elements determine the organisation’s development effectiveness in working towards achieving the goal of Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment (GEWE) in line with the 2030 Agenda and the UN Women Strategic Plan.
Reporting to Director, the Administrative Associate is responsible for providing a variety of executive administrative support to the SPRED Directorate, maintaining full confidentiality in all aspects of assignment and, in close coordination with the SPRED Directorate, teams within the Division and other HQ Divisions and field offices, for managing the efficient flow of information and communications to ensure expeditious dissemination of information, timely action and compliance with established deadlines.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide executive and administrative support to the Director, SPRED:
- Manage the Director’s calendar, and schedule of appointments and meetings;
- Arrange travel and hotel accommodations and other logistics for the Director;
- Manage administrative files on the Director mission travel and mission reports;
- Research files, collect information and organize materials to meet the Director requests;
- Undertake the logistical, administrative and financial arrangements, to organize meetings, events, and workshops;
- Organize and attend meetings and events, support with preparing minutes and summaries;
- Prepare and assemble briefing materials and PowerPoint presentations for the Director for meetings, missions and other key events;
- Organize and monitor the office filing system.
Provide effective communication and information management support to the SPRED Directorate:
- Facilitate flow of information and communication between the SPRED Directorate and other units within or outside of UN Women;
- Review, prioritize and route correspondence to and from the SPRED Directorate; take proactive follow-up action and keep the SPRED Directorate team members informed;
- Respond to and/or direct inquiries to appropriate units for timely action/response;
- Prepare routine correspondence and interoffice circulars; review documents and reports to ensure spelling, punctuation and format are correct;
- Maintain and organize up to date hard and electronic files for easy access and retrieval; ensure safekeeping of confidential materials.
Provide support to the Director’s external relations activities:
- Facilitate the Director’s interaction with various external partners through written, verbal and electronic communication, and through collaborative and proactive relationships with counterparts and colleagues in partner offices;
- Receive and greet high ranking officials/visitors;
- Ensure protocol matters, receive high ranking visitors/officials, coordinate logistical arrangements related to visits.
Provide general administrative and operations support to the SPRED Directorate:
- Create projects in Atlas, prepare budget revisions, revise project awards and status; and determine unutilized funds and the operational and financial close of a project;
- Provide administrative support in the monitoring of budget preparation and finances;
- Gather and compile data and information for the preparation of planning and budgeting activities; support the preparation of work plans and budgets;
- Review financial reports; prepare non-PO vouchers;
- Process payment for consultants;
- Create requisitions in Atlas for projects; register good receipts in Atlas.
Contribute to knowledge building and knowledge sharing:
- Provide administrative support for effective knowledge management and sharing within the office and other offices/HQs;
- Build and share knowledge and experience related to administrative and operations support.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely and quality support to the Director.
- Quality presentation of information.
- Quality and timely organization of events/meetings.
- Adherence to protocol.
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of secondary education is required;
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or public administration is an asset.
- At least 6 years of progressively responsible experience with administrative, secretarial, or programme experience;
- Experience in the use of computer applications and software packages such as Microsoft Office, and web-based management systems;
- Experience with the ATLAS system is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.