United Nations Integrated Transition Assistance Mission in Sudan, Khartoum, Sudan
Closing Date for Applications:
Org. Setting and Reporting
The position is located in the United Nations Integrated Transition Assistance Mission in Sudan (UNITAMS). The United Nations Security Council adopted resolution 2524 (2020) authorizing the mandate of UNITAMS which is to assist the political transition, progress towards democratic governance, in the protection and promotion of human rights, and sustainable peace; support peace processes and implementation of future peace agreements; assist peacebuilding, civilian protection and rule of law, in particular in Blue Nile and South Kordofan (the Two Areas) and Darfur; and support the mobilization of economic and development assistance and coordination of humanitarian assistance.
The position is based in Khartoum and is located in the Office of the Chief of Mission Support.
- Acts as adviser on management matters pertaining to human resources, budgeting, financial and general administration.
- As directed, develops, prepares, and monitors work plans, strategies and assigned programme areas for the administrative activities of the Mission and assists in securing the required human and financial resources.
- In cooperation with other offices of the Mission, plans and forecasts the personnel, financial and logistical requirements of all Mission components.
- Exercises budgetary and administrative controls.
- Certifies mission expenditure using delegation of authority granted by the Head of Mission and CMS and reports on administrative, logistical and financial matters accordingly.
- Drafts guidelines, reports and correspondence on a wide range of issues for the Chief of Mission Support and ensures adherence to relevant UN rules and regulations and policies.
- Drafts responses to correspondence required from the Chief of Mission Support on administrative/policy documents and KPIs are being monitored and met
- Provides advice and assists supervisors in areas of problem solving, dealing with ad-hoc issues that arise, and undertakes tasks and special projects, such as Security/Evacuation Plan, welfare activities, etc as requested.
- Undertakes evaluation of support provided by the Mission Support Division to the various parts of the Mission.
- Monitors implementation of Audit/Board of Inquiry recommendations.
- Assists the in the supervision of Air Safety matters in the Mission as well as coordination of Security operations in the Mission.
- Supports the Office Chief of Mission Support in liaising with the Offices of the Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG), Deputy SRSG as well as Chiefs of Services and Sections on administrative issues/activities.
- Liaises with local authorities, UN / Agencies / Funds and Programmes or other parties on behalf of Mission
- Support Division.
- Represents the Mission Support section/unit at regular meetings with other UN Agencies as requested.
- Maintains direct liaison with Resident and External Auditors.
- Reviews audit observations submitted and drafts appropriate responses in consultation with the Chief of Mission Support
- May represent the Senior Administrative Officer or Chief of Mission Support in various standing Boards and Committees, such as Property Survey Board (PSB), Claims Review Board (CRB), and may act as alternate/Chairperson of the Local Committee on Contracts.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business or public administration, human resources management, finance, accounting, or related field. A first-level university degree with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree..
- At least seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in human resources, budget, finance or general administration and customer service function, is required
- Experience in providing guidance to Senior leadership, monitoring compliance of KPIs and engaging in addressing performance issues is required
- Experience in handling complex organizational issues at the international level is desirable.
- Hands-on experience with UN administrative/financial policies and practices is required.
- Experience providing services to or in a field operation of the United Nations Common System or a comparable international organization is desirable
- Experience in a shared services environment is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required.