Food and Agriculture Organization, Bridgetown, Barbados
Closing Date for Applications:
Sound management principles for efficient and effective businesses processes, work practices, procedures and applications aimed at managing for results. Administrative, budgetary and financial rules and regulations of complex international organizations, including procurement, finance, human resources, travel, meetings, registry, maintenance and security. Computerized accounting systems. Administrative and financial service provisioning, modernization, innovation and change management. Risk management, oversight and control combined with streamlined bureaucracy and back-office-services.
- Supporting the Implementation, monitoring and evaluation of Regular Programme activities and Subregional Office programme/projects portfolio.
- Prepares periodic budget reports; prepares post planning and monitoring and other regular and ad hoc reports;
- Contributes to the development of results-based management concepts and policies and monitoring and reporting procedures;
- Develops, implements and monitors corporate activities, identifies operational, administrative, information technology and other constraints and proposes solutions to improve quality, timeliness and cost effectiveness;
- Overviews the maintenance of imprest accounts and other budgetary reports; acts as Certifying Officer, monitors availability of funds under all programmes; ensures that financial commitments and expenditures are accurate and consistent with established guidelines;
- Trains and supervises staff and field project personnel on all administrative and operational matters and undertakes special missions for training staff in other FAOR Offices, SROs and host Governments on budgetary, financial and managerial issues in line with the Organization's regulations policies and procedures;
- Assesses training needs and encourages training events as well as other human resources-related activities;
- Optimizes the management of Office's premises, the allocation of space and the provision of services for the renovation and the maintenance of premises and be responsible for security for MOSS compliance;
- Establishes and maintains partnership with headquarters units, interacts with Internal and External Auditors and prepares replies to audit observations and queries;
- Organizes and participates in Subregional meetings, workshops, celebrations and other events;
- Advises the Subregional Coordinator in the general administration and smooth functioning of the Subregional Office as well the management and administration of programmes, projects, staff, premises, including finance and procurement, with an emphasis on the effective planning and utilization of human and financial resources.
- Supports the correct interpretation and implementation of financial, administrative and human resource rules and procedures of the Organization.
- Oversees, detects and helps to manage and prevent administrative and financial risks.
- Ensures that procedures for purchasing goods and services are implemented and authorized according to the rules and procedures (best value for money) and that the importation and clearance of goods and equipment comply with relevant regulations.
- Ensures the maintenance of a reliable IT infrastructure in coordination with headquarters.
- Supports change management initiatives to modernize and innovate existing systems and business processes in liaison with the regional office and headquarters, so that they are quicker, more efficient, and more responsive to the evolving demands of member countries, including support to relevant UN reform processes.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in business or public administration, accounting or a related field
- Five years of relevant experience in financial management, administration and planning
- Working knowledge (Level C) of English and limited knowledge (Level B) of Spanish
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions, is desirable.
- Extent and relevance of experience in financial management, administration and planning, knowledge and application of rules, regulations and procedures.
- Extent and relevance of experience in organizing programme proposals and budgets and monitor programme implementation.
- Demonstrated ability to support innovate business processes and change management initiatives is considered a strong asset.
- Knowledge of innovative technologies, approaches and tools in managing teams, business process, and in managing for results is an asset, as is prior knowledge and experience with UN systems and databases, accounting and financial modules, and corporate applications.
- Working knowledge (Level C) of Spanish is desirable.
- Experience in risk management is desirable.
- Knowledge of United Nations rules and operational procedures including UN systems and databases, accounting and financial modules as well as knowledge of the UN reform process is desirable.