Adolescent Health Education Specialist
IntraHealth International, Bamako, Mali
Closing Date for Applications:
IntraHealth is seeking a senior-level Adolescent Health Education Specialist for a technical leadership role on the pending USAID/Mali Girls Leadership and Empowerment through Education (GLEE) project, which aims to empower Malian adolescent girls to obtain greater educational attainment and to become stronger, more empowered women and leaders in their communities. The purpose of the GLEE activity is to increase enrollment and educational attainment of adolescent girls (10-18 years) in conflict-affected target areas. The GLEE activity is a three-year project with an estimated total funding of $15 million co-funded by the USAID Office of Education and the Office of Health. Activities will target individuals, institutional structures, and community-level structures, link to existing USAID programs, and work with the government of Mali to ensure alignment with national education and health strategies and policies.
The IntraHealth Adolescent Health Education Specialist will provide technical leadership in terms of adolescent reproductive health (ARH) and hygiene education to increase the knowledge and adoption of positive health behaviors among adolescent girls. The Adolescent Health Education Specialist will be responsible for ensuring that all relevant activities are implemented within specified timelines and in collaboration with other project technical leads, stakeholders, and partners, as appropriate; assist with monitoring budgets, monthly forecasts and tracking expenditures. Travel to project sites in Mopti, Kayes, and select peri-urban districts of Bamako to monitor the progress and quality of activities will be required.
- Lead in the design and management of project ARH strategies and activities to ensure high-quality interventions that are fully integrated and closely coordinated with other program objectives.
- Provide technical assistance to strengthen the capacity of country office staff to design and implement quality ARH programing using state of-the art approaches
- Collaborate with project staff to develop project workplans and budgets, provide input into and review donor reports, deliverables, and liaise with field team for development of tools, curricula and materials.
- Provide monitoring oversight of implementation of ARH activities in conjunction with key technical staff to ensure technical assistance is organized and aligned with country priorities and needs.
- Contribute towards the development of project monitoring tools and support routine data collection and reporting. Liaise with evaluation team as applicable.
- Coordinate with in-country project team and stakeholders to adapt curricula for service providers, teachers and peer educators.
- Identify potential organizations (e.g., schools, CSOs, health facilities) as needed to support implementation and develop scopes of work and oversee efforts of these organizations.
- Liaise with Ministry of Health and Ministry of Education at national, district and local levels to identify and respond to ARH needs.
- Provide training, capacity building and technical assistance for research and programming on gender and ARH, as needed.
- Supervise staff and consultants engaged in implementing ARH interventions.
- Advanced degree in public health, social work, or related field; clinical background will be an advantage.
- Expertise in sexual and reproductive health/family planning (SRH/FP) and adolescent health, rights and development issues in West Africa with experience in Mali preferred.
- At least 5 years of experience in the area of program coordination/management.
- Experience in health education and adolescent/youth programming and training.
- Previous experience with working with USAID-funded or other large donor funded projects a plus.
- Ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks, work under pressure, and meet tight deadlines.
- Experience working with international organizations and governmental bodies such as ministries of health.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in French; English is a plus.
- Proven team player with strong interpersonal skills.
- Computer literacy in MS Office application and the Internet.