To support Internews’ large portfolio of digital rights and digital safety programming around the world, we are seeking to hire multiple individuals who can serve as advisors or subject matter experts in digital rights and/or digital safety programs.
Our global technology programs advance the digital safety of our partners, and advocate digital rights and protections for the world’s most vulnerable populations. From funding local internet rights advocacy initiatives and open source technology development to designing cutting-edge approaches to organizational security, we focus on local and regional needs, and connect them at the global level to demand an inclusive, safe
Required for both positions:
- Deep expertise working with human rights defenders, journalists, advocates, and/or marginalized populations, as well as (ideally) with internet freedom communities.
- Proven capacity to work directly with communities in their own community spaces, and to maintain trust and collaboration over extended periods of time.
- A strong, ethical, transparent, and community-focused approach to work.
- English proficiency.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed.
- Optimism, a sense of humor, and excitement at joining a supportive, skilled, multi-cultural team that is devoid of rock stars and distributed across the globe.
Preferred for all positions:
- Experience living and working outside of the United States;
- Demonstrated understanding of gender-sensitive programming and approaches to civil society engagement.
- Proficiency in at least one language other than English.
Preferred for Digital Rights Advisors:
- Demonstrated experience working on digital rights policy issues including but not limited to freedom of expression, data protection and privacy, access to information, surveillance, etc.
- Demonstrated thought leadership in public discourse on regional and global digital rights issues
- Demonstrated experience writing and reviewing policy briefs
- Demonstrated experience engaging in regional and international digital rights fora
Preferred for Digital Safety Advisors:
- Experience leading digital security trainings and ToTs
- Experience risk/threat modeling and working with individuals on pragmatic solutions
- Experience building or implementing building mechanisms to provide long-term safety support for individuals and organizations.
- Proven contributions to the digital safety community through creation, sharing, and/or review of documentation, guides, curricula, etc.
Internews works to ensure access to trusted, quality information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure, and rewarding lives. We envision a world where everyone can communicate freely with anyone, anywhere, and exchange the news and information they need to shape their communities and the world. Over 35 years, we have cultivated and supported partners, people, and offices in more than 90 countries. We operate in the hardest places on earth, helping build deeply local solutions that incorporate technologies appropriate to each local context. We are committed to reducing information darkness over the next five years, testing and iterating new solutions, and asking ourselves repeatedly, “What more can be done?”