Background Information - Job-specific:
The United Nations General Assembly resolution 71/251 established the Technology Bank for Least Developed Countries and adopted its Charter on 23 December 2016. The objectives of the Technology Bank include strengthening the science, technology and innovation capacity of least developed countries; and promoting the development and implementation of national and regional science, technology and innovation strategies. This position is located at Technology Bank for the LDCs, based in Gebze, Turkey. The Advocacy and Communications Specialist reports to the Managing Director of the Technology Bank.
Under the guidance of the Managing Director, the incumbent serves as a specialist in advocacy and communications. The role involves managing, leading and guiding staff, as well providing leadership and advise on advocacy and communication strategies to promote the Technology Bank’s objectives at the highest political and decision-making levels. The Specialist will work with partners, donors, and key influencers in order to achieve these objectives.
The specific responsibilities of the Communications and Advocacy Specialist include:
- Under the guidance of the Managing Director, work on global advocacy and communication, ensuring that all opportunities are optimally utilized to build high-level political commitment for the Technology Bank at global level, within the least developed countries, development partners and all relevant non state actors including the private sector.
- In consultation with the Managing Director and other colleagues, lead on the creation of key messaging and a communications strategy for the Technology Bank.
- Lead on creating, procuring and managing services to establish a new visual identity and style guide for the Technology Bank
- Work with technical contractors to establish, map, produce content for and design a website for the Technology Bank.
- Establish a bank of images to be used for communications purposes and the website
- Write a social media strategy and establish the first social media accounts for the Technology Bank, ensuring maintenance, messaging and continuity across accounts.
- Assist with communications activities for key events organized by and in relation to, the Technology Bank.
- Ensure effective communication between all stakeholders and provide guidance on advocacy and communication related follow up actions from the Technology Bank.
- Promote the Technology Bank and its objectives by ensuring high visibility and understanding of its mandate at the highest political level, building a movement to strengthen global and national fundraising and advocacy efforts.
- The incumbent will be responsible, for event specific advocacy strategies and messaging. The Specialist will lay out the tactics, plan events, engage partners, build and sustain campaigns and proactively take necessary action – to ensure these meet the objectives of the Communications Strategy
- The specialist will ensure that all advocacy work is planned and executed in close collaboration with all Technology Bank teams and partners.
- Critically assess the progress and achievements, ensuring appropriate evaluation mechanisms are in place. The Specialist will identify gaps and pitfalls, recommend remedial actions and, within the delegated authority, implement innovative strategies for further improvements.
- Advise the Managing Director and other staff in the development of advocacy proposals and strategic activities to ensure that these meet the requirements of high level stakeholders, political and decision-making bodies and promote further cooperation and coordination with partners.
- Represent the Technology Bank externally and internally at the UN. This includes working with the UN Communications Group, Regional Information Centers and other relevant bodies.
- Manage, guide and motivate staff including, but not limited to, providing training and individual advise on communications issues.
- Collaborate on the development and execution of partnership work plans and budgets related to advocacy and communications and the optimization of the use of financial and human resources, as well as effective processes, streamlined procedures and best practices.
- Develop advocacy and communication messages and strategies to be used by The Technology Bank for increasing the funding available globally.
- Through effective communication, ensure that The Technology Bank, including its mandate and work, is well understood by development partners and country missions in least developed countries and developing partners
- Perform other related responsibilities as assigned, to assist the Managing Director and others as required
Education: Advanced university degree in communications, journalism or public relations or related field.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in advocacy and communication strategies, including advocating, campaigning, networking, public relations at national and international levels.
- Development of advocacy/communication campaigns related to international development ( In technology related issues would be an asset)
- Experience in the development of advocacy strategies and related high level messages through interaction at senior level, and proven experience in the elaboration of strategic plans, fund/raising activities, working under pressure to deliver results against tight deadline is an asset.
- Experience of working with International Organizations in the area of strategic advocacy for at least 5 years with a focus on science, innovation and technology or poverty related issues preferred.
- Experience in leading and managing multicultural teams at an local or international level and responsibility for managing budgets.
- Experience interacting with and presenting to senior leadership of donors, government and partner organizations.
- Experience and understanding of science, innovation and technology and least developed countries with demonstrated capacity to work and engage high level stakeholders,preferred.
- Experience of direct working with high level representatives, preferred
- Networking capacity with important stakeholders – including but not limited to private sector, business leaders, members of parliament, senior government officers and/or Ministers is a great asset.
Languages: Excellent knowledge of English with proven ability to communicate in English (spoken and written) in a clear and concise manner is required. Competency in French, preferred.