Advocacy and Empowerment Senior Technical Advisor
Mercy Corps, Bamako, Mali
Closing Date for Applications:
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Oversee the development of CSO outreach and selection strategies, organizational capacity development plans, including assessments and curricula development, and networking support responsive to the context and in recognition of best practices and lessons learned of the program.
- In close coordination with the DCOP and support from Mercy Corps’ Technical Support Unit, develop and deliver training on a range of organizational, technical and networking issues to staff and partners.
- Provide day-to-day supervision of capacity building activities, ensuring that team members and partners are following work plans, that activities are on schedule, that project deliverables are completed as planned, and that emerging trends that could impact the program or opportunities on which the program could build are raised for consideration by the senior management team.
- Ensure that institutional capacity building activities target women, youth and other often marginalized groups in civil society leadership and influence, as well as are integrated into other key components of the program.
- Ensure conflict sensitivity is taken into account in the design and implementation of all capacity development activities.
- Work with the DCOP and M&E Manager to ensure monitoring and evaluation of capacity building activities are robust, well-integrated with overall M&E strategy, and that information and data collected are used to inform and adjust capacity building strategies.
- Collaborate and coordinate with capacity building and training activities of other partners to ensure high quality results.
- Assist with the design, use and analysis of the organizational capacity assessment with CSOs.
Team Management & Capacity Building
- Advise and mentor Mercy Corps and partner staff on technical aspects of capacity building activities in the program to support increased community participation and responsive governance mechanisms in target areas.
- Work closely with program staff to plan outreach and support to CSOs, implement capacity building plans, troubleshoot issues and challenges, be attune to and well prepared to leverage emerging opportunities, and develop strong staff capacity for effective support and development of participating CSOs.
- As part of Mercy Corps’ agency-wide Organizational Learning Initiative, all team members are responsible for spending 5% of their work time in formal and/or non-formal professional learning, that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- BA/S or equivalent in international development, community development/mobilization, public policy or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- At least five years of experience in in civic engagement, civil society strengthening, democracy, advocacy, community mobilization and governance initiatives, with a particular emphasis on grassroots advocacy (e.g., planning, tactic selection, policy and political economy analysis, network and coalition-building, etc.). Experience supporting advocacy efforts in transition environments strongly preferred.
- Previous experience working on USAID-funded programs strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to professionally and appropriately represent the organization and negotiate with a diverse range of officials, local organizations and donors.
- Demonstrated experience with sub-award management, including selection of grantees, and tailored capacity building using empowering, inclusive approaches.
- Effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational, and prioritization skills are required.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Professional working ability in French and English is required.
- Previous working experience in West Africa is desirable.