The Regional Office for the Near East and North Africa (RNE) is responsible for leading FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO's strategic response to regional priorities. (RNE) also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization’s Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. RNE develops and maintains relations with region-wide institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs).
The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
The post is located in the Regional Office for the Near East and North Africa, Cairo.
The Agricultural Specialist (Plant Production) reports to the Regional Strategic Programme Coordinator, works in collaboration with the Plant Production and Protection Officer in the Sub-regional Offices and under the technical guidance of the Plant Production and Protection Division in HQ.
Support to planning, implementation and monitoring of programmes and projects under the Plant production activities.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Research and analyse technical, social, economic, environmental, institutional, and technology related information, data and statistics and/or related policy issues to support the delivery of programme projects, products and services;
- Produce a variety of technical information, data, statistics and reports as well as input for technical documents and web pages;
- Assist in the implementation of the activities for improving plant production sustainable approaches of agriculture in the NENA region;
- Provide technical support/analysis to various assessments, studies and initiatives and provide technical backstopping to field projects;
- Provide technical support and training on plant production including and the Global Plan of Action on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture and the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources in Food and Agriculture;
- Liaise with international, regional and national research institutions linking the needs of smallholder farmers in developing sustainable plant production systems with research activities and outputs;
- Collaborate with regional economic organizations and promotes South-South, TCDC and North South cooperation activities on strategies and programmes linked to sustainable crop production inter-alia Conservation Agriculture, Climate Smart Agriculture, sustainable mechanization, water management, harmonization of seed laws/regulations, seed systems and agro-ecological approaches that promote healthy soils and reduce need for mineral fertilizers;
- Collaborate in the development of improved/updated tools, systems, processes, and databases;
- Participate on multi-disciplinary teams, and/or lead working groups/teams collaborates with other departments and agencies on work groups and committees and promote best practices;
- Collaborate in, provide technical backstopping to and ensure the quality / effectiveness of capacity development activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, on-line tools;
- Promote knowledge sharing and best practices at international meetings and conferences and influences partners in stakeholder consultations;
- Support resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy;
- Performs other related duties as required.
- CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Minimum Requirements
- Advanced university degree in in agriculture, agronomy, plant science, with specialization in crop production, integrated production systems or related field;
- Seven years of relevant experience in plant production in arid and semi-arid
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
- Ability to cooperate with officials in national governments, intergovernmental organizations and other institutions and in collaborative networks and joint programmes.
- Extent and relevance of experience in the development and management of technical projects in relation to Plant Production
- Extent of experience in Innovative Plant production systems, fertilizers and certified propagation materials
- Experience working within or with state structures on similar issues are of advantage;
- Experience working with Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture and the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources in Food and Agriculture;
- Experience in organizing and facilitating international meetings, seminars and training courses in the technical general area of plant production and genetic resource development.