Vital Strategies (VS), based in New York City, is an international public health organization. We develop and oversee programs to strengthen public health systems and address leading causes of morbidity and mortality, providing expertise in project implementation and management, strategic communications, epidemiology and surveillance, and other core public health capacities. Our specific programs include road safety, obesity prevention, tobacco control, and activities to strengthen public health data systems and the use of public health data to guide policy and decision-making. Activities are based in low and middle income countries and cities in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific. Please visit our website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work. VS is an independent affiliate of The International Union against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union).
Vital Strategies is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Air Pollution Health Effects Epidemiologist. The position is based in Singapore and applicants must possess or be eligible for a valid work permit for Singapore.
The Air Pollution Health Effects Epidemiologist will be expected to have a specialization in air pollution health impact assessment to evaluate the human health impacts and costs from ambient and household air pollution levels at national and sub-national levels in several Southeast Asian nations. The epidemiologist will report to the Program Manager for Environmental Health in Singapore and to the Vice President for Environmental Health in New York City. The epidemiologist will work with consultants, as necessary, to complete analyses and reports.
- Identify and work in collaboration with countries’ health ministries to collect relevant health and air pollution data.
- In collaboration with these ministries, select and apply methodologies for estimating health impacts from relevant air pollution scenarios, including avoidable hospitalizations, premature mortality, and childhood illnesses.
- Interact with relevant methodological and subject matter experts on health impact assessments.
- Author, co-author and edit technical reports.
- Collaborate with communication specialists to create reports targeting the press and other media, and the general public to raise awareness of the impacts of air pollution.
- Participate in the development of concept notes and funding proposals on these and related environmental health subjects
- Monitor project progress, compile progress reports for funders.
- Respond to information and assistance requests from funders, field staff, and the public.
- Identify, surface, and troubleshoot impediments to these efforts.
- Participate in regional training efforts that teach health impact assessment methods and promote the development of policies to respond to their findings
- Attend conferences and meetings in support of these activities.
- Assist with other Vital Strategies duties as specified by the VP for Environmental Health and Program Officer.
Qualification and Skill Set:
- Graduate degree in epidemiology, health economics, environmental health sciences, public health or field of study or equivalent experience/education;
- Strong quantitative skills in environmental epidemiology, health economics or related field.
- Demonstrated interest and experience in environmental health sciences, policy, and program implementation.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with use of health risk, health burden and impact estimation methods and tools, such as BenMAP or similar is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, work independently, and make sound, informed decisions
- Demonstrated effectiveness working teams, and in partnership development
- Citizenship, residency or willingness to establish residency in Singapore.
- Willingness to travel up to 25% of work time and work flexible hours to communicate across different time zones
How to apply:
Please submit a CV and cover letter to email@example.com by Friday, May 26th including the position applied for in the subject line. Kindly indicate salary expectation in the cover letter.