An Android Engineer at Wadhwani AI will build mobile solutions to bring AI to the benefit of the underserved billions across the developing world.
The Wadhwani Institute for Artificial Intelligence (Wadhwani AI) is the world’s first independent nonprofit research institute developing AI solutions for social good. Our mission is to develop AI solutions to overcome challenges of societal importance in domains such as health, agriculture, financial inclusion, and infrastructure.
Our team consists of world-renowned scientists, innovators, and entrepreneurs from Stanford, Yale, Cornell, and the IITs, with experience at companies like Microsoft, Google, Amazon, and DE Shaw. We have research collaborations with Stanford University, Carnegie Mellon University, New York University, University of Southern California, and the University of Washington.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- As an android engineer, you will be responsible for building machine learning based mobile solutions to problems of societal importance. You will participate in problem definitions, and the development of android applications, libraries and SDKs that partner organizations and developers can leverage to address to these problems.
- In solving these problems, you will be expected to leverage in-house and third party interfaces, and put in place automation and testing pipelines for these applications making use of software engineering best practices to ensure maintainable, debuggable and future-proof solutions.
- At Wadhwani AI, excellence as an individual contributor goes hand-in-hand with good teamwork and collaboration. In order to develop solutions for social good, you will need to understand user challenges and their context and work in cross-functional teams spanning research, engineering, product and program management and designers to co-create solutions to these problems.
- You will also be expected to interact with external partners of Wadhwani AI when required, and to make periodic visits to the communities from where challenges are derived and where the solutions will be deployed.
- Ideal candidates should have a broad experience in architecting and deploying Android solutions to real problems that have had an impact in the world. Candidates should care about using their technical skills to solve large societally important problems.
- The candidate should have broad exposure optimizing and debugging software mobile applications for correctness and performance issues, creating SDKs and libraries and the associated documentation and tooling for partners and developers.
- Candidates should be aware of current best practices in Android development and have experience integrating with libraries and frameworks like Retrofit, Firebase, Crashlytics, etc
- Candidate should have strong foundations in data structures, algorithms and computer systems and good understanding of the software development and deployment lifecycle including code versioning, build and test automation frameworks.
- Candidates should be comfortable working with cross-functional teams, must have excellent communication skills and a track record of driving projects to completion.
- Candidates should have a Bachelors/Masters in Computer Science, Physics, an Engineering Discipline or equivalent industry experience.
- Experience with open-source projects and high performance systems is a plus.