Background Information - Job-specific
Global Pulse is a flagship innovation initiative of the United Nations Secretary-General on big data. Its vision is a future in which big data and AI are harnessed and used responsibly as a public good. Its mission is to accelerate discovery, development and scaled adoption of data innovation for sustainable development and humanitarian action. To this end, Global Pulse will work to promote awareness of the opportunities Big Data presents for sustainable development and humanitarian action, forge public-private data sharing partnerships, generate high-impact analytical tools and approaches through its network of Pulse Labs, and drive broad adoption of useful innovations across the UN System.
Global Pulse implements data innovation programs through its Pulse Labs to provide UN and development partners with access to the data, tools and expertise required to discover new uses of big data and AI for development. Global Pulse develops policies, toolkits, applications and platforms to improve data-driven decision-making and support the evaluation of promising solutions.
- UN Global Pulse is looking for a one project short-term hire to perform coding, visual and execution testing and distribution packaging.
- The consultant will receive a mostly finished Node.js/Electron application and perform the following tasks:
- Add user interface content following current template
- Create an application installer package procedure for Mac OS X and Windows platforms
- Perform deployed application testing on Mac OS X and Windows platforms
- Take content and visual update directions continuously from UN Global Pulse technical staff.
- First level university degree in Computer Science, Software Development, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Design or other related disciplines. Secondary education in combination with an additional two years qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of a university degree.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in professional software development and/or coding;
- Experience coding in Node.js ( https://nodejs.org/en/ ) is required;
- Experience coding with Electron ( https://electronjs.org/ ) is required;
- Experience in application coding and the Installer Package creation on multiple platforms including Microsoft Windows (64- and 32-bit Intel/AMD) and Apple OS X (64-bit Intel) is required;
- Experience in application coding in Linux is an asset;
- Experience in application testing is an asset;
- Experience in visual design (follow the templates): UX and UI is an asset.
Language: Fluency in English (written and oral) is required.