Applications Analyst - Enterprise Business Intelligence
FHI 360, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
We are seeking an experienced Applications Analyst - BI to work closely with our information
technology and business teams to create and maintain business intelligence solutions on the Microsoft Azure platforms, and to ensure data architecture, data governance and business intelligence design is aligned with and capable of supporting the business strategy.
The Business Intelligence Applications Analyst will be responsible for the development and day-to-day maintenance and enhancements of the business intelligence application systems and reports in test and production operations, including tasks related to identifying and troubleshooting application issues and issues resolution or escalation. Responsibilities also include participation in client needs assessments; technical and analytical work in developing, designing, and/or analyzing technical solutions for clients; business and system process improvements; testing and implementation of system upgrades, and management communication.
- Assists in the evaluation, development, and implementation of company systems, including custom developed, off-the-shelf, and/or hosted solutions.
- Participates in code and design reviews.
- Develops new system components to include graphic user interfaces, software programs, database interfaces, and reports.
- Troubleshoots basic software malfunctions, maintaining existing tools and applies appropriate modifications based on changes in the business environment, equipment, personnel and/or errors in existing programs.
- Ensures the consistent and reliable use of all code management, data models and library systems assuring available, reproducible and reusable programs.
- Coordinates with company employees and consultants, on-site and in the field.
- Works with IT (ITIL Lifecycle) and project teams to analyze and clarify operational and platform requirements.
- Executes development process for assigned work products within the scope of change/release management for enhancements and projects.
- Ensures system documentation is up to date, including data related to incidents and enhancements.
- Updates system documentation per the change/release process.
- Contributes to the definition of standards, best practices, and maintenance of applications and tools.
- Provide input to project scope, timelines and provides quotes on development efforts.
- Leads code, data model and design reviews.
- Where applicable, develops tools to streamline development efforts.
- Collaborates in the refinement of standards, and best practices around the maintenance of applications, report development and mentoring of staff in same.
- Assists in managing the flow of change request activities including assignment of programmer and documentation to be updated.
- Works with development team(s) to update project plans and track projects. Assists in managing overall scheduling and timeline across projects.
- Participates in business requirements definition and documentation.
- Performs support and troubleshooting tasks for multiple business applications.
- Assists in the evaluation, development, and implementation of company systems, custom-developed, off the-shelf and/or hosted solutions.
- Ensures application changes from development are tested and successfully migrated into the production environment.
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to optimize the applications and BI solutions.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Ability to design and develop complex, high-quality business intelligence (BI) solutions, write complex reports or ad hoc queries for data analysis, data modeling, BI development and troubleshooting purposes in an efficient manner.
- Identifies and resolves advanced application issues from the server perspective, using logs, administration or monitoring tools, server configurations, and other techniques.
- Manage and troubleshoot application integration issues, understand the supporting integration tools and data flow.
- Creates and maintains documentation related to installation, architecture, configuration, operational tasks and troubleshooting for applications in a central repository.
- Possess in-depth knowledge of the supporting business process and functionality of assigned applications.
- Rapidly adapts to changing business requirements and to efficiently acquire and utilize new skills in response to such change.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Anticipate issues, think proactively, and use critical thinking skills to plan stakeholder requirements gathering sessions.
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of other work specialties and the ability to integrate this knowledge-base to achieve solutions to highly complex problems.
- Recommend and design system or tool changes or enhancements, giving primary consideration to the feasibility, maintainability, internal customer needs, and overall cost/benefit and quality requirements.
- Investigate, research and implement new technologies in related areas.
- Demonstrates autonomy as an individual contributor, with minimal supervision.
- Mentors and provides ongoing guidance to Business Analysts, Super Users and Technical Application Support Analysts on complex issues and errors.
- Consults with clients and higher- level technicians and analysts to resolve technical problems and ensure client satisfaction.
- Advises staff on complex issues when the proper course of action is not apparent and direct research actions to ensure timely resolutions of issues.
- Promotes positive customer relationships and mentors others to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Consults with clients to develop solutions using existing technologies.
- Bachelor's Degree or its International Equivalent in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology, Management Information Systems or Related Field.
- 5 – 8 Years of related work experience.
- Knowledge and development experience of databases (e.g. Oracle, SQL Server, etc.), Azure SQL data warehouse experience preferred.
- Prior work experience with UI development in Power BI or Tableau and is required.
- Knowledge and experience with writing technical requirements, test scripts and knowledge of software programming languages and technologies.
- Ability to communicate technical information clearly and concisely to technical and non- technical users.
- Ability to initiate majority of relevant tasks, specify and plan activities for task accomplishments and notify supervisor of variances.
- Must be able to develop creative solutions to problems
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Prior experience working in a non- governmental organization (NGO) preferred.