Stichting Mayday Rescue Foundation is an international not-for-profit organisation.
Mayday’s mission is to protect civilians against the effects of war and natural disaster by enabling them to protect themselves. We work where we are most needed: we seek to support the communities that are the most vulnerable and the most exposed to threats from conflict or natural disaster.
We are passionate about saving lives and strengthening communities. Our methodology is the development of civilian protection capability, adapted to the specific challenges faced by a given community. We measure our performance by the quality of our teams’ civilian protection service, as judged by the civilians we serve.
Mayday is headquartered in the Netherlands and operates regional offices in Turkey and Jordan. Our multinational team of 50 specialists has extensive experience of delivering complex programmes in fragile contexts.
Mayday Rescue Foundation is an equal opportunities employer and applications are actively encouraged from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We seek a capable, experienced and committed Arabic-English Translator to help us to achieve the Foundation’s core mission: save lives and strengthen communities.
Responsibilities and tasks
Specific responsibilities include:
- Conducting written English-Arabic and Arabic-English translation of written documents, transcription of audio or video recordings, and other media.
- Providing support and assistance in office meetings, ensuring all participants are aware of activities and outputs.
- Providing tutoring to Arabic-speaking staff to help improve English
- Providing tutoring to English-speaking staff help improve Arabic
- Coordinating additional language services support as necessary including from bilingual Mayday staff and from external sources
- General administrative duties
- Other tasks as directed by supervisor
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. linguistics, English, Arabic)
- Graduate degree and/or coursework in a relevant field
- Relevant professional certifications
- Knowledge of technical language of the following fields, and ability to interpret/translate it accurately and precisely in both English and Arabic:
- Emergency services
- Conflict, international and human security, stabilisation, humanitarian response, and development
- Law (esp. international law)
- Data science
- Reporting, media and communications
- At least 4 years’ work experience, including at least 2 years’ previous experience as an English-Arabic interpreter/translator
- Current knowledge of the history, context, actors, and conflict dynamics of the Syrian conflict
Skills and abilities
- Functional native proficiency in both English and Syrian Arabic, both spoken and written
- Demonstrated high ability to interpret simultaneously and consecutive English-Arabic and Arabic-English, both in “whisper” translation and through an interpretation booth
- Excellent English-Arabic/Arabic-English written translation skills
- Excellent writing ability in both English and Arabic
- Good organisational skills
- Good knowledge of the MS Office Suite, in particular, strong knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to relocate to Amsterdam and legally work in The Netherlands
- Ability to integrate well into a close-knit, multilingual, multinational, multicultural, multiconfessional team and build relationships well with stakeholders at all levels
- Good people skills
- Ability to thrive in an often high-stress work environment
- Ability to work with close supervision at times, and to operate with substantial autonomy at others, depending on business circumstances
- Self-motivation, drive, creative problem-solving, and autonomy