About the role: This is a 12 month, replacement role with unaccompanied terms based in Kouango, Ouaka Prefecture, CAR with a salary grade 4 - €41,603 - 46,226.
You will report to the Country Director (CD) and will be responsible for the overall management of programmes in Kouango in the Central African Republic. As Area Coordinator you will be responsible for representing the organization at various forums, line managing Programme Managers, M&E Officer; Base Manager and ensure appropriate Community Response Mechanism (CRM) and security protocols are in place.
We would like you to start in December 2020.
Is to provide quality leadership and ensure the effective and professional management of Concern’s programmes in Kouango Sub-Prefecture. This includes strategic, budget and programmes implementation oversight, programme development and ensuring administration, human resources, finance and logistics can effectively support programmes in a complex emergency situation. As Area Coordinator, you will be responsible for security management, ensuring staff compliance to Security Management Protocols. You will be expected to respond positively and constructively to a rapidly changing operational environment.
You will be responsible for:
- Oversee and ensure quality implementation of all programmes in line with Concern’s strategy, sector approaches (including WASH and Livelihoods), internal policies and procedures and recognised best practices, core and minimum standards.
- Contribute to and coordinate the team in the development and submission of concept notes, proposals and reports in collaboration with the Programme Director
- Ensure implementation of all projects and programmes as per budgets, work-plans, results & monitoring frameworks, procurement plans etc.
- Make sure logistical, financial and human resources potential are optimized, in line with the Concern values, standards and policies.
- In liaison with the Programme Director (PD) ensure that an effective M&E system is in place and working throughout the project cycle and informs regular reporting both internally and externally.
- Coordinate all field assessments and surveys ensuring they are compliant with Concern Programme Quality Guide and with widely agreed standards.
- Ensure that lesson learned and results of evaluations or surveys are shared with relevant clusters and at coordination meetings as appropriate.
- Ensure participation of the community in the planning and implementation of programming through appropriate mechanisms.
- Build the capacity of team members assigned to implement programmes.
- Ensure maximum integration of food security and livelihoods, WASH, and other relevant programmes, in conjunction with programme managers.
- Participate in quarterly and annual programmes reviews
- Ensure that Gender and Equality, Protection, DRR (Disaster Risk Reduction), and PEER (Preparedness for Effective Emergency Response) and conflict sensitivity are integrated into all programme design and implementation
- Liaise with and brief CD on programmes and situational context on a regular basis as well as coordinating monthly reviews of progress/issues with programme managers and briefing CD and PD as necessary.
- Overall responsibility for the integrity of the finance systems in Kouango and ensuring strict adherence to Concern’s Financial Policy and Procedures.
- In collaboration with the Base Manager ensure financial projections are prepared and submitted to CD, PD and Finance Dept.
- In close collaboration with the Programme Managers and Base Manager, monitor the monthly expenditure of all programme budgets and adherence to Concern policy and guidelines for finance management, and advise the PD, the CD and the finance department of any variances and recommend solution.
- In collaboration with programme managers and base manager, ensure that the monthly cash forecast is accurate and submitted on time.
Human Resource management
- Lead, manage and motivate the team ensuring that staff directly line managed have clear objectives, works plans and receive meaningful and regular feedback on their performance along with identification of professional development opportunities; ensure the same is done for the overall team
- Participate in the recruitment of national staff, including development of job descriptions, and liaise with HR for supporting the recruitment process.
- Strengthen and build the programmatic, managerial and operational skills of staff through on-job mentoring and coaching, feedback mechanisms, ensuring their participation in relevant trainings.
- Address and mitigate staff complains and conflicts in coordination with the HR Officer and, if needed, relevant SMT members.
- Ensure all Concern policies and guidelines are well known and adhered to by staff and local partners (Code of Conduct, Programme Participant Protection Policy (P4), Equality, Anti-Fraud Policy and Accountability standards etc.)
- Overall responsibility to ensure that logistics procedures are being followed across procurement, warehousing and vehicle management.
- In coordination with the Base Manager, oversee the planning and timely implementation of procurement processes, as per programmes needs and ensure all programmes/projects adhere to the procurement plans
- In collaboration with the Base Manager, ensure that asset registers are maintained and up to date and that stock controls are in place and adhered to.
- Oversee the implementation of Health and Safety Policy in the office and residential area for International staff.
- The Areas Coordinator is the Security Focal Point (SFP) for Kouango and ensures the local Security Focal Group is functioning effectively.
- Ensure the team and visitors understand and adhere to the Concern Worldwide Security Management Plan (SMP) and the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Monitor and report on the security situation and any security incidents in the programme area, in a timely manner, to the CD, SD and PD and ensure appropriate follow up.
- Ensure timely completion of internal and donor reports and related documentation adhering to Concern Worldwide standards and requirements of the contract.
- Provide Monthly Reports and work-plans on time, in the right formats with the correct information; provide weekly programmes updates to PD and CD
Coordination, Networking and Representation
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all stakeholders at sub-prefecture level - including armed and civil actors, community leaders, NGOs, UN agencies, community based organisations, beneficiaries and other key stakeholders - to enhance cooperation and coordination and to minimise security issues.
- Represent Concern during potential visits by donor agencies, the National Authorities, UN Agencies, partners and other stakeholders.
Safeguarding Policies and Complaints Response Mechanism
- Ensure the dissemination and full implementation of all aspects of Concern’s Safeguarding policies (P4, Code of Conduct, Child Safeguarding Policy and the Anti-Trafficking policy) and report violations to the SD and CD.
- Lead the Complaints Response Mechanism (CRM) process for Kouango sub-prefecture including assuring that the CRM is in place in the community and at the field offices and that the CRM committee meets and reports monthly as per agreed guidelines
- Support the senior management team in investigations as required.
Work as a team member of Concern Worldwide CAR
- Establish and develop an effective working relationship with Concern staff at Bangui level and other field locations to ensure teamwork and integration.
- As team member effectively participating in any Preparing for Effective Emergency Response (PEER) process as deemed necessary. This may include being deployed to respond to emergencies as and when required.
- Supporting County Office and other Programme Areas in CAR whenever requested to do so.
- Adhering to Concern’s programme and other policies on physical and financial resources, this includes but not limited to Safeguarding Policies and Anti-Fraud Policy
- Undertake additional duties as mutually agreed with the PD and CD.
Your skills and experience will include:
- Relevant degree (international development or related discipline)
- At least three years’ experience of managing and coordinating field based operations preferably in food security, health and nutrition sectors in remote and fragile locations
- Relevant experience in supervising, managing/coaching, training and develop skills of others
- Previous experience in project design, planning, monitoring and evaluation in development and humanitarian context
- Experience in dealing with local authorities, national and international NGOs/UN agencies
- Proven ability to take responsibility for security issues
- Ability to assess problem and recommend solutions
- Ability to work under pressure and to strict deadlines.
- Methodical and thorough
- Experience and ability to lead a multi-sectoral programme team of international and national staff working in a remote location
- Familiarity and knowledge of finance, logistics and administration
- Experience of monitoring and reporting of budgets across a programme and ensuring effective and accountable use of funds
- Computer literate and sound knowledge of Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Excellent communication skills in French both written and verbal, and good working knowledge of English.
- Empathy with Concern’s goals and a commitment to capacity building, accountability, participation and gender equality.
- Masters in development studies, rural development, WASH, public health, or any other development related study
- Experience in promoting community participation in programme design, implementation and evaluation
- Experience of working in challenging, insecure areas and willingness to work and live in a remote environment