PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Under the supervision of the Head of Operations, the Area Manager is responsible for overseeing the implementation of WVs humanitarian operations in various Syria offices with a focus on high quality implementation of humanitarian assistance, resilience and recovery programming, quality and design, risk-sensitive operations, Security management, strategic partnerships, staff management, grants acquisition and operational security for World Visons programs. World Visions Syria Country Office is seeking an experienced Area Manager to play an integral role in the implementation of World Visions programs in Syria. S/he is an innovative leader with the capacity to oversee, direct, strategise, plan and implement a multi-sector response in Syria including in the health, WASH, shelter, protection, livelihood and food sectors, both through direct implementing modalities, and with partners.
- Demonstrates World Vision’s core values, vision, mission and Transformational Development/Program integrated ministry model by all staff in the assigned Area.
- Build a team of highly committed and competent staff, ensuring cooperation and coordination among relevant staff within the Area.
- Mentor, coach and provide opportunities for the professional growth of direct reports.
- Create a learning environment in which staff within the assigned area regularly reflect, learn from mistakes and use lessons for personal growth and to revise work plans to improve ministry impact.
- Ensure that staff understand and follow the WV child protection policy and that awareness-raising on child protection, response and incident reporting is occurring.
- Closely coordinate with the Field Security Officer (FSO) to ensure that WV security policies are being adhered to.
- Conduct daily meetings with the FSO in order to be updated with the security situation throughout respective province.
- Decide if security issues will impact upon WV project activity and act accordingly.
- Perform daily assessments, evaluate current procedures, coordinate with project managers and field coordinators and alter current activities as necessary.
- Actively support the FSO in his/her role.
- Along with the FSO, the Area Manager will act as general liaison to the local military and police, and attend security coordination meetings with other organizations.
- A primary task is to establish and maintain a strong link with the PRT. Along with the FSO and the Security Manager in Amman develop a realistic evacuation plan which involves the PRT.
- Supervise the activities of the Field Coordinators in conjunction with the FSO.
Project Management (Quality Implementation):
- Coordinate with program, finance and administration staff to ensure operational systems are in place to support field activities.
- Ensure that the program systems and staff are working to achieve the project goals and objectives and that the project is maintaining World Vision and donor. accountability standards.
- Ensuring appropriate structures, internal and external standards, staffing, resources and policies as well as all grant requirements are adhered to.
- Ensure that day-to-day administrative support for the program is in place.
- Ensure clear understanding of project assumptions by all partners to aim at effective and timely achievement of project goals, outcomes and outputs.
- Ensure quality of implementation including appropriate structures, internal and external standards, staffing, resources and policies.
- Ensure high standards of stewardship and accountability for all resources. Work with the Finance Officers, Administration Officer and other departments to build a strong internal control environment, ensuring compliance with WV financial policies and procedures and promoting a culture of transparency and accountability. Review and approve expenditures and contract according to assigned levels of authority.
- Manage and monitor all funding commitments, spending against budget and financial reporting on the program.
- Provide strategic direction and support to Project officers/ Managers and other staff under the position.
- Manage and mitigate any risks within the Program that could have financial, HR or Legal consequences or negatively impact ministry or World Vision reputation.
Liaison and Networking:
- Establish and maintain liaison with local counterparts and partner agents (including steps to build open and working relationship with partners who represent the beneficiaries whom WV is serving).
- Create an enabling environment for dialogue, information sharing, partnerships and, and cooperation between Community Based Organizations (CBO)s, Government structures and target communities when delivering project interventions.
- Represent World Vision in the local coordination forums and liaise with Government officials and donors, UN-bodies and other partners wherever appropriate and required.
- In conjunction with other stake holders, effectively advocate for changes standards, policies and legislations based on insights and demands from targeted communities.
- Effectively represent Syria Country Office operations and mission when accompanying visitors, e.g. donor and/or Government representatives, journalists and other delegations to project sites.
- Conduct daily coordination meetings with the heads of departments. This can be done individually or collectively and will be held in the Area Manager office. This will be conducted remotely, as necessary.
- Act as the point of contact for all liaisons to the relevant local governmental offices and local officials and ensure their agreement and cooperation in the completion of our program goals. Notes of each meeting will be maintained.
- Maintain close coordination with the Head of Operations, relevant Program Officers and Project Managers. Engage in coordination meetings with the Operations and Programs, and support departments.
- Maintain bi-weekly/monthly operational reports to the Head of Operations.
- Ensure accurate quality narrative and financial reports are submitted in a timely manner and according to donor requirements.
- Work closely with GAM unit to ensure high quality reporting.
- Reports directly to Operations Manager to remain accountable for the program’s success.
- Responsible for area budget.
- Ensure that financial policies and procedures handed down from the main office are implemented and followed.
- Liaising with the finance department to create budgets and spending projections for the area office.
- Signing authority for purchase requisitions as per WV Syria Response LoA.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Track the performance of the project activities and outputs against expected results and adjust implementation processes to ensure the project is progressing towards the intended outcomes.
- Analyze the impact of program and promote learning by documentation of best-practices. Use this information to support decision-making processes.
- Track program progress, programs’ expenditure against approved budgets, anticipate any deviations and recommend and take action on relevant and required adjustments.
Closely supervise the administration assistants paying special attention to:
- The coordination of field travel for Area staff.
- Capacity building of the admin assistants specifically in record keeping.
- Perform space and needs assessments on a regular basis, and requisition or construct new office space as necessary.
- Oversee the day-today functions of offices of national and international staff members.
- Oversee the running of the national and international team houses.
- Create and disseminate programmatic and local office policies to all staff and ensure that such policies and procedures are followed.
- Create and maintain detailed records as to the use of WV generators.
- Decide on the daily timings that the generators will be used both in the office and the team house. Ensure that good maintenance of these assets are regular and of a high standard.
- Closely supervise the logistics team paying special attention to:
- The procurement process.
- Managing the record keeping of the logistics cell.
- Ensure that close coordination is kept with the procurement focal point in Erbil.
- Regularly liaise with the SCM on logistic needs for the zonal offices.
- Coordinate with SCM about special requirements for storage and transportation of sensitive project items such as seeds and medicines.
- Negotiate all relevant contracts with local providers and communities
- Coordinate the distribution of WV assets; especially the transportation pool.
- Negotiate and efficiently manage vehicle rental contracts with providers in the area.
KNOWLEDGE,SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Bachelor's degree in Humanitarian Studies, Food security, Public Health, social sciences, international affairs, Program management or related field.
- At least 5 years managing and implementing large multi-year international Projects (assessment, proposal development, report writing and evaluation, etc).
- Significant experience managing programming in challenging security contexts.
- Relative knowledge in Grant acquisition and management.
- Excellent analytical/problem-solving skills and detail-orientation.
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written).
- Proven organizational skills and time management.
- Excellent computer skills, familiarity with MS Word, Lotus Notes, MS Excel and Power Point would be an added advantage.
- Effective in written and verbal communication in English.
- Arabic/Kurdish is preferred.
- Experience in project management and programming knowledge in any of the following – humanitarian assistance including health and nutrition, shelter, WASH, Protection. Experience managing education and livelihoods programming also an asset.
- Ability to work in high tension and high security risk situations and be able to adapt to rapidly changing contexts.
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts, psychologically stressful environments, and physical hardship conditions with limited resources.
- Good understanding of the work of major donors (UNICEF, EU, UNHCR, etc.)
- Proven good knowledge of the Convention on Child Rights.
- Demonstrated experience and success managing USAID/OFDA grants.
- Master Degree in Social Sciences is a plus.
- Knowledge of and adherence to the Red Cross and NGO Code of Conduct and capability of incorporating standards in design, implementation and evaluation of relevant projects.
- This role involves facilitation and coordination of a large team and different projects.
- Percentage of Travel to be determined.