About the job
The Area Manager is responsible for the coordination, management, development and representation of DRC programming in Adamawa State, with a focus on Mubi area, Nigeria. The position requires a high degree of responsibility, flexibility and understanding of complex organisational charts including horizontal liaising among different senior managers. S/he reports to the DRC Country Director.
Description of the key responsibilities of the position:
S/he will, in coordination with the Head of Support Services, oversee administration (HR/Finance), logistics (Procurement, Supply) and support programme implementation.
S/he will ensure that field teams are prepared to respond to emergencies and ensure the safety and security of DRC staff and assets in her/his area of responsibility.
The Area Manager will assist in the Programme Managers follow-up of technical departments field work, promoting programme integration while acting as a conduit and focal point for coordination as the senior representative of DRC in the area.
- Provide, together with Head of Programmes DRC and DDG, coordination and integration of DRC activities in the area including, but not limited, to protection, emergency response, food security and WASH;
- Direct line management of the non-programme staff (HR, Finance, Logistics & Procurement, and Safety)based in Adamawa State - Mubi, including recruitment, coaching, capacity building and ensuring interdepartmental co-ordination; Line management of the Area Programme Manager (expatriate) who oversees all Program Team Leads.Identifying gaps in programme implementation and collaboration with Technical Managers;
- Liaise and closely coordinate with the senior management team members based in Abuja, Yola and and fellow Area Managers in other states
- Encourage a positive, innovative and mutually supportive team spirit amongst the Adamawa State team, including ensuring the well being of expatriate staff in/visiting your Area of Operation.
- Ensure the smooth, cost efficient and effective functionality of DRC’s Operation in the region including oversight of Supply Chain functions (Logistics, Procurement, Warehousing);
- Proper maintenance and function of the DRC fleet, including DRC owned and rented vehicles;
- Oversight of all asset management and stock.
- Act as the main DRC representative in Adamawa State and attend all relevant forums/meetings including active participation in the Humanitarian Regional Team (HRT) with the objective to strengthen DRC’s position in the area;
- Develop, implement and regularly revise a DRC engagement strategy and acceptance in the region;
- Identify and build relationships with authorities and other relevant stakeholders in the area.bEnsure adherence to security procedures and monitoring developments in the security situation;
- Actively support the country safety department to develop and regularly update the local security plan for his/her area of responsibility;
- Be a member of and/or actively support the Crisis Management Team as required and if requested;
- Develop and maintain a security focal persons' network in his/her area of responsibility.
Finance and Administration:
- Provide budget monitoring of assigned budgets, financial control in compliance with DRC country office requirements and as per the Operations Handbook;
- Ensure necessary systems in procurement are followed according to DRC Operations Handbook for all projects in the state.
- Ensure compliance with internal reporting requirements and participate in the DRC internal coordination mechanisms as required.
- Guided by the DRC Programme Handbook, continuously monitor and suggest relevant accountability initiatives in the field as well as strengthen the effort to document the impact of DRC activities in the area.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 5 years professional work experience within international humanitarian/development work;
- Good understanding of displacement issues of both internally displaced and refugees and related international standards/frameworks;
- Solid project management experience;
- Extensive experience in representation and networking;
- Excellent negotiation, advocacy and communication skills;
- Professional fluency in written and spoken English
- Experience or knowledge of the North East Nigerian context;
- Previous experience of working in insecure locations;
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with local staff and other stakeholders;
- Excellent analytical and strategic skills
Education: University degree in international relations, management, human rights, social science or related field;
- Fluent English (spoken, reading, writing)
- Knowledge of local languages a plus