The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a non-profit, non-governmental, humanitarian organization founded in 1956 and operating in more than 30 countries around the world. The purpose of DRC is to protect refugee and displaced populations from persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problem of forced migration, based on humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC's work is in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the ICRC Code of Conduct and Humanitarian Aid NGOs.
Protection and assistance to conflict-affected populations is provided in a regional, long-term and rights-based approach to provide a coherent and effective response to today's challenges. Beyond immediate emergency response, support for returnees and repatriation, promotion of durable solutions to the causes of displacement is an integral part of DRC's work
DRC in Cameroon
The Mbéré is a Department of the Adamaoua Region of Cameroon, bordering the Central African Republic (CAR). The situation of refugee populations and host populations in this area is precarious because of the high vulnerability of refugee populations, the loss of their livelihoods and the pressure on local natural resources following several years of crises in the country. RCA and waves of displacements. However, this area also presents an opportunity to implement emergency food assistance and economic recovery projects to provide longer-term support to local populations and to provide durable solutions to refugee populations.
DRC is today looking for a highly qualified Area Manager - Mbéré .
About the position
The listed responsibilities are not exhaustive and could be readjusted according to the operational needs identified at the moment insofar as they remain consistent with the general responsibilities of the position.
Management of financial, material and human resources:
- Participate in the National Management Team (SMT) while ensuring regular flow of information and taking part in strategic decisions;
- In collaboration with project managers, manage project budgets implemented in the area
- Manage people under his direct supervision (including their development, planning and performance)
- Provide overall supervision (through responsible persons) of program teams and ensure that they achieve the objectives of each project effectively, in time and with the necessary quality
- Provide overall supervision (through the persons in charge) of support services (logistics, HR, admin, finance) and ensure that they complete their objectives effectively, in time and with the necessary quality;
- Be the main responsible for the implementation of an appropriate and effective risk management for all activities (program and support) on the various bases / sub-bases of the Mbere area
- Ensure teams have access to and understand and adhere to DRC policies, procedures, guidelines, systems and practices
- Coordinate and guide the adaptation of the national DRC strategy to the context and local circumstances;
- Provide a regular analysis of the context and the humanitarian situation and participate proactively in the preparation of project proposals, in full cooperation with regional coordinators
Representation, coordination and reporting:
- Represent DRC and attend all relevant meeting forums in the Mbere area;
- Maintain relations with administrative authorities and other stakeholders in the Mbere area
- Maintain close and beneficial working relationships with donors, national and international organizations and their local counterparts;
- Respect and apply internal reporting requirements, and contribute to external reporting, as well as quality control;
- Ensure constant, transparent and proactive communication with the hierarchy and the capital office.
- Provide a regular analysis of the security context and situation in the area for the development of security instructions, in full cooperation with the Security Focal Point and Regional Safety and Security Advisor;
- Ensure a safe and secure environment for DRC beneficiaries, staff and equipment by ensuring that local security procedures are up-to-date and standard operating procedures are known, understood and respected by all.
About the applicant: The success of this mission requires that you be a manager, attentive to your teams, and who knows how to show leadership to carry out the objectives of the departments concerned. In addition, you must be (or have):
- Diploma BAC +5 (Political Science, International Development, Economics / Management or other related field)
- Minimum 5 years of experience in coordinating, managing, supervising multi-sectoral and multi-donor humanitarian and development programs in complex and unstable environments
- Strong leadership and management skills in a pressurized environment
- Significant experience and significant skills in logistics, financial management, human resources management and administration
- Proven skills in managing external stakeholders (especially local authorities and actors) and excellent communication skills
- In-depth knowledge and experience in applying and monitoring donor guidelines
- Experience in managing security in a volatile area
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and perfect writing skills
- Perfect command of French (oral and written) and good command of English (oral and written)
- Ready to work in a rural setting and difficult conditions.
Desired skills: Prior experience in Central African context.