NRC in the East Africa & Yemen Region prides itself on being a leader in the service of refugees, internally displaced people and displacement communities. We strive to be a rapid responder and a pioneer in Hard to Reach areas. We unlock durable solutions and make deliberate efforts towards a more sustainable impact in our programming.
We aim to deliver the best possible service through commitment to our regional hallmarks: evidence based programming; advocating for change; cash and markets-based programming; driving innovation; collaborating with other actors for greater impact; integrating our programmes to achieve synergy and maximum efficiency; and valuing staff diversity.
NRC Ethiopia has seven Area Offices in: Addis, Shire, Gambella, Dollo Ado, Assosa, Jijiga and Bole Hora in addition to the Country Office in Addis Ababa. Over the next few months NRC will need new Area Managers in some of these locations. We are therefore recruiting for multiple locations across Ethiopia.
The Area Manager has the overall responsibility for their designated area, and ensures that NRC´s programme in the area develops in line with NRC’s mandate, policies and country specific strategies. The Area Manager is leadership position and this is an exciting opportunity to join one of NRC's largest programmes in the East Africa & Yemen Region.
Duties and responsibilities;
- Provide overall leadership and oversight of the designated area
- Line management for senior project/programme staff and support functions
- Member of the Country Management Group (CMG)
- Ensure Area compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Provide area specific input on Core Competency Strategies, Country Strategy and Plan of Action
- Organize grants opening, review and closure meetings at area level
- Implementation of projects (including master support budget and coordinating input for donor proposals and reports) in the area, in compliance with contractual commitments (i.e. quality, synergies, timeliness, use of resources).
- Assess needs, develop emergency response and implement response plans
- Ensure optimal use of resources within the allocated project budgets and Core Competency Strategies
- Represent NRC and networking on area level
- Ensure that capacity building is provided to all staff in the area
- Ensure overall security and safety of staff in the area
- Promote the rights of refugees in line with the advocacy strategy
- A generic Job Description is attached below; however, specific responsibilities may vary between duty stations*
- Minimum first level university degree in relevant and related field
- Minimum 5 years of experience from working as a senior Project Manager or similar, in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Strong leadership skills, with previous experience managing a team
- Experience working with displacement-affected populations
- Experience with a range of donors, with specific experience and knowledge of ECHO, EU, UNHCR, UNICEF and other major donors
- Experience in dealing with institutional actors and government authorities
- Experience in managing and leading programmes within partner networks and/or consortia
- Experience in organizational representation, coordination and liaison
- Experience of implementing multi-sectoral programming and of enabling the development and strengthening of resilience strategies
- Experience in working in the East Africa Region
- Strong communication skills
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Handling insecure environments
- Strategic thinking
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Managing resources to optimize results