Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly Area Manager.
Overall purpose of the role
The Area Manager is responsible for the coordination, management, development and representation of DRC programming in Borno State – Nigeria. The role is a key position for DRC Borno and Yobe State. The position is a full member of the extended senior management team. S/he is expected to be able to work independently under the authority delegated by the Country Director, bring solid management and leadership skills to the job, and the ability to engage and represent DRC with local authorities and other stakeholders. The post will be based in Maiduguri –Borno State – with frequent and extended trips to Damaturu. ideally 80% Maiduguri and 20% Damaturu. The Area Manager is also expected to travel to the deep field offices that includes Mafa, Ngala and Bama – occasionally.
- Management: Provide, coordination and integration, together with the HoPs DRC, DDG and other senior staff, of DRC activities in the area including, but not limited, to protection, emergency response, food security and WASH;
- Representation: Act as the main DRC representative in the Borno and Yobe States and attend all relevant forums/meetings including active participation in the Humanitarian Regional Team (HRT) with the objective to strengthen DRC's position in the area; as well as Develop, implement and regularly revise a DRC engagement strategy and acceptance in the area;
- Safety and Security: Ensure adherence to security procedures and monitoring developments in the security situation;
- Finance and Administration: Provide budget monitoring of assigned budgets, financial control in compliance with DRC country office requirements and as per the Operations Handbook;
- Reporting: Ensure compliance with internal reporting requirements and participate in the DRC internal coordination mechanisms as required.
- Accountability: Guided by the DRC Programme Handbook, continuously monitor and suggest relevant accountability initiatives in the field as well as strengthen the effort to document the impact of DRC activities in the area.
To be successful in this role we expect you to have a high degree of responsibility, flexibility and understanding of complex organizational charts as well as you have a character that can motivate and encourage a positive team spirit. Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Minimum 5 years’ professional work experience within international humanitarian/development work;
- Good understanding of displacement issues of both internally displaced and refugees and related international standards/frameworks;
- Solid project management experience;
- Extensive experience in representation and networking;
- Excellent negotiation, advocacy and communication skills;
- Experience or knowledge of the NE Nigerian context;
Education: University degree in International Relations, Management, Human Rights, Social Science or related field;
Languages: Fluency in written and spoken English